whey protien allergy

nyjenson
on 6/17/11 12:33 pm - Stockton, CA
 looking for people who have a whey allergy that I can get advice from... I see so many snack ideas with whey protein but for me that is not an option, I cannot have whey protein, milk (can tolerate cheese though) and I cannot tolerate soy milk either... if any of you have this problem also, i would love to know how you deal with it and if you have any tips or advice?

-Nicole
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/17/11 12:44 pm - OH
If you cannot tolerate whey-based OR soy-based protein supplements, there are a few hemp-based protein supplements available online.  I have no idea how they taste...  Otherwise, you are stuck with trying to get as much protein as possible from whatever foods you can eat at the moment (and might want to talk to your surgeon about whether or not you can advance a bit more quickly in order to have a wider variety fo foods to choose from). 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JerseyJim
on 6/17/11 12:46 pm - Sayre, PA
 I too had a horrible reaction to whey and soy protein post op, so I use egg white protein powder instead made with either Lactaid milk, or almond milk.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

kandl03
on 6/17/11 2:32 pm
I started having issues with protein shakes a week ago, I am almost 5 weeks out.  Initially I thought it was a the milk in my shakes so I switched to soy.  After a few unsuccessful attempts at shakes with soy, I tried a unflavored shake with crystal light.  I was still having the same symptoms with any type of protein shake.  I consulted with my dietitian and she recommend that I leave the shakes for now and focus on getting my protein other ways.  I have been drinking three 8oz glasses of milk a day.  I will tell you that I am not a fan of milk, I never have been but for some reason it tastes really good right now.  The dietitian also recommended trying the crystal light protein water, there are 3 or 4 grams per serving.  I just got some tonight and have not tried it yet.  I am willing to try anything to stay away from the shakes at this point.  Today I was able to get in 60 grams of protein between the milk and my meals.  I hope this helps.  Good luck to you.

Kara

Weight lost since Surgery  

Weight lost since first visit with surgeon.
nyjenson
on 6/17/11 5:25 pm - Stockton, CA
I have been using this protein powder by lifetime, its basicly pea, hemp, chai, rice protein... i got the vanilla flavor and basicly just make a smoothy which is probably not safe for most because it has a lot of natural sugar but I dont dump and all the fruit and OJ I use disguises any negative taste (which is mostly just grittyness) I want to try the almond breeze milk so i can try my protein powder in a shake form instead a smoothie though but I have to get over the trauma of getting so ill from shakes even though I know I have nothing to worry about now lol. do any of you know of like any protein bars or snack items that are ready made that would be safe?

-Nicole
hlacy
on 6/18/11 8:26 am - Chandler, AZ
Check out Jay Robb brand egg protein powder. It's 24g of protein per serving. I am lactose intolerant and have issues with egg and soy myself, but the Jay Robb whey isolate is 99% lactose free and I've had no issues with it. I'm preop and have been trying to find the right protein now!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

nyjenson
on 6/20/11 6:28 pm - Stockton, CA
 oh wow thanks... does the egg protein taste okay? gritty, bad tasting etc?

-Nicole
hlacy
on 6/21/11 1:07 pm, edited 6/21/11 1:08 pm - Chandler, AZ
I've not tried the egg, because I have trouble digesting eggs, but the whey is not at all gritty, and just has a brief, tolerable aftertaste, which I think is more from the stevia than the whey protein. I've been really impressed with the Jay Robb line overall. I know JayJim uses the Jay Robb egg protein, he can probably speak to the taste :)
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 385 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 335 views