Baking with Splenda

Kim26
on 6/17/11 8:25 am
Can you taste a major difference when baking with Splenda compared to regular sugar? Next Friday I can go on normal foods, and I kinda want a "treat" next weekend - but something that won't take me off plan.  Since 2 weeks post-op I have become completely dairy intolerant, so I thought I would try to make something myself so I can control what is in it. I don't want to spend the time and money making something that is going to taste awful.   Does Splenda work well in baking?

Thanks!

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
nightbird
on 6/17/11 8:43 am - Bowie, MD
 I tried this last weekend and loved it...it has stayed light and moist all week

1 sugar free chocolate cake mix...think it is Pillsbury
1 small Jello instant sugar free pudding...I used butterscotch
4 eggs
1/14 cup of water
1 small jar organic baby food carrots
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 t rum extract
1/2 t butter extract

mix well and pour into oiled bundt pan
top with 1/2 cup Hersey's sugar free chocolate chips...I get at Walmart

Bake at 350 for 45 min until knife inserted comes out clean...cool completely...I top with a little sugar free cool whip.

Enjoy.
Kim26
on 6/17/11 8:55 am
Thank you for the recipe - it sounds yummy. Do the baby carrots help keep it moist?

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
nightbird
on 6/17/11 9:10 am - Bowie, MD
 I believe so...or you could use pureed prunes.  The recipe called for greek yogurt but I didn't have any and subsituted in the pureed carrots...it is very light,moist, fluffy and flavorful.
laurynbro
on 6/17/11 1:30 pm - GA
Is the water 1/4 cup or 1/14 cup?

flyingwoman
on 6/17/11 8:46 am
Splenda tastes very similar to sugar in baking, but it doesn't do some of the same things chemically. For example, you couldn't make butter tarts or pecan pie with it because it doesn't get syrupy. There are a bunch of other differences too.

What are you planning on making?

There are lots of treats on eggface's blog or bariatric foodie that are WLS compliant.
Kim26
on 6/17/11 8:58 am
Thank you for the information!  I really don't know what I want to make - I think I saw Nik's post on Angel Food Cake and it got me thinking! lol  Some kind of cake I think....but I am worried about a ton of the sugar alcohols...I do not know how I react to them.  I will have to check out Eggface's blog and start experimenting next weekend. 

One thing I do want to make is one of my favorites pre-op...ESP Cookies...three ingredients (my kind of recipe!)

1 Egg
1 Cup Sugar (which will now be Splenda)
1 Cup Peanut Butter

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  I used to put a Hersey's Kiss in the middle, but I will omit! :)

Thanks again!

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
nightbird
on 6/17/11 9:12 am - Bowie, MD
 I make these with splenda and love it...sometimes I add dried cranberries or sugar free chocolate chips.  I have added ground flax seed too (1/4 cup) for a little more texture....falls apart less.
Cheryl.P
on 6/17/11 10:01 am - Philadelphia, PA
check withsplenda's web site because you usually have to adjust the recipe by adding extra oil when replacing sugar with splenda.. i was taught by some excellent cooks to use malitol (some supermarkets carry it) you may have to order it online. it behaves exactly like sugar when cooked. it is great for making candy.

there is also an online tv show for wls people at www.bariatrictv.com  if you check the episode list there is a recipe for 35 second cake. (it's a sugar free cake you cook in a coffee cup in the microwave and it is awesone.
Anna M.
on 6/17/11 1:03 pm - Manchester, NH
Splenda has a great carrot cake recipe on their website. It's a bit of work but worth it in the end. It's my mom's favorite and she said she couldn't even tell I used splenda.

Hmm was going to post the link but the one on their website is completely different now. If anyone wants it I will retype my copy and post. Just let me know

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 258 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics