OT-Gripe and Moan

kb2010
on 6/17/11 2:18 pm - CO
Is anyone else experiencing the "fun" of job hunting and coming up with squat? We moved to Colorado in March of 2010 and I quit a very happy job in education to move here. I took some time off to work towards getting my surgery and had it and have since recovered. I send out resumes daily, check everywhere I can and nothing. I haven't even been called in for an interview so I can't blame judgemental attitudes. My poor DH works his butt off but it seems like no matter how many hours he works, we still barely scrape by each check. We own 2 crappy and always breaking cars, downsized to a mobile home to rent and have little in the pantry. I find myself wearing old tops in 5X when I am down 83 lbs. I know there are people out there in much worse situations and I should be grateful for a roof over my head. I just wonder sometimes what is going on and when will it ever be better. I feel alot of guilt b/c a 2nd income would be enough to make things way better. I feel selfish for taking the time off for surgery and allowing my family to suffer the consequences. If you can just pray, think good thoughts, whatever you believe in...and send your good mojo my way, I would appreciate it. I believe OH is a lifesend to those of us who need an open ear.

Take care--Kim

HW:390   GW:170ish

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/17/11 2:28 pm - OH
Here in Ohio jobs of ALL kinds are very scarce right now.  I had to change jobs a couple of months ago and the one I have now is on a 3-4 month at-a-time renewal type of thing.  It is extremely stressful and I don't particularly like it, but I have not had any luck finding other open positions to even apply for.  I am single, so if they don't renew our contract, there is no one else to help me with the mortgage, car payment, etc.

I wish I could say that I think the economy will turn around soon, but -- with the idiots in Washington -- I don't.  Hang in there.  Don't be afraid to consider part-time positions (because they can sometimes turn into full-time positions if they like you, depending on the job.)  At least you're in a place with beautiful weather.  I lived in a Denver suburb for 3.5 years in the 1980s (but had to move back to Ohio after getting laid off and not being able to find a job for almost 9 months), and I sometimes still really miss the weather there.. especially in the winter!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

princessfrogee
on 6/17/11 3:23 pm - AL
Another option you may try is temp agencies.  Many times you get a job with a temp agency and it turns into full time work.  You said that you worked in education, are you a teacher?  I know that you can apply to be an extended leave sub if you are a licensed teacher and many times those turn into full time work.  Other options is to apply as a regular sub or an aide just to keep your foot in the door until somethng else comes along.  Sometimes it is in who you know and since you are new it would benefit you to get your foot in the door.

After being a stay-at-home mom for 14 yrs, I was almost finished with my Associates (aiming for an Elem. Ed degree and possibly Special Ed) when husband had to take a job overseas as there was nothing here that would pay enough to make our ends meet.  Around the same time, his mother informed us she could no longer care for my disabled SIL and it's a long story, but she had to move in with us and I have had to put school on hold.  In one hand, it allowed me the time to get my surgery next week, but in another, it has been very difficult and makes me strongly question if I will even be able to finish school in order to have a future job to help support our family so the husband does not have to kill himself to make ends meet.

I truly believe we are not given more than we can handle, though believe me, there are days I cry out "WHY?????".  Like you, I know there are others that are far worse off and I am just thankful my husband has a job at all, but it is emotionally draining to be left here to do it all.  Husband was home for the past two weeks and worked his tail off on "honey-do's".  He left tonight to go back.  Half of me is numb and half of me wants to fall apart.  I just have to hold it together and focus on myself for once in my life and get through this surgery.  Everyone else (to a point) can sit on the back burner...at least for a week or so.  My old self would have felt guilty, but lately I have really been upset that everyone around me (adults and kids) is all about THEM and when I need something I am ignored or blown off, so that has made this easy for me to allow myself not to feel guilty.  Don't feel guilty for bettering yourself.  You are doing this FOR YOU.

I will keep you in my prayers !!
Tawnda   (((HUGS)))

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
T. Deeds
on 6/17/11 8:59 pm
I live in a different part of the country than you, but I applied for over 200 jobs before I got my job last Fall.  My saving grace in the meantime was temp work, which the other poster mentioned.  It kept me afloat financially and mentally as well, because I was able to get out of the house and could commiserate with my fellow temps that were having the same trouble finding work as me.

Laura in Texas
on 6/17/11 10:23 pm
I agree with the others. Apply at temp agencies and to be a substitute teacher while you look for full-time employment. Continue to take care of you during the process. Go to Goodwill to make sure you have a nice outfit to interview in. Smile and be positive in your interviews, no matter what kind of day/week/month you are having. Apply for assistance. Check out local food pantries. Does your school offer free-breakfast/lunch during the summer (they do here in Texas). Take advantage of everything you can while you get back on your feet. You can do this!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views