Actigall

Solon
on 6/19/11 9:10 am - Arkadelphia, AR
I see everyone talking about Actigall... I spoke to my Dr. and he was of the opinion it isn't worth taking... Is this something I should insist on?  My mother and aunt have both had their gall bladders removed w/out WLS.

Thank you for your time!
~ Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.        
poet_kelly
on 6/19/11 9:22 am - OH
The stats I've seen are:

WITHOUT Actigall, 32% of folks end up with gall stones

WITH Actigall, only 2% of folks end up with gall stones

I personally would have insisted on it but I didn't know about it at the time of my surgery.

And, eight months later, I had to have my gall bladder removed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

psx chelly
on 6/19/11 10:18 am, edited 6/19/11 10:18 am

Yah, insist on it.  especially if you feel as though you might loose weight rapidly.  Actigall helps the gallbladder adjust to the rapid weight loss, and also helps not to get gallstones.

If you cant get it from your Surgeon, get it from your PCP.  Just explain to him/her you are going to have WLS.

You only need to take it about 3 months anyhow, and most insurance covers the generic.

Carebearny1999
on 6/19/11 10:20 am - Rochester, NY
I was told 6 months--I pushed for another 6 months since I am a "larger" patient and am still losing "rapidly" in my mind. Yes, it's not a guarantee but for the $15 I pay a month for it I'm going to take it!
CarolineM
on 6/19/11 12:44 pm
My surgeon usually prescribes it, but I had to stop taking it due to terrible diarrhea. I tried it 3 or 4 times in the past year, and each time had the same reaction. I do think it's worth taking, since the risk of gallbaldder issues is real.

Caroline
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 258 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?