Pre Op diet help

blessedladyh
on 6/20/11 9:15 am
My surgery us scheduled for June 27. I am getting a little nervous about the Pre op diet...my Dr recommends 3 meals a day of protein and veggies...well I have low blood sugar and in between meals I was drinking protein shakes...the dietian was out if the office and just returned my call today and said I should not and could not have them and her words were hopefully I want have any issues....my thing is that I am losing weight I am drinking plenty of liquids and exercise am I gone be okay? How do I really know that my liver is shrinking? Help..I was fine and not nervous until today...I need GUIDANCE here!

kgee
on 6/20/11 9:57 am - MD
Well, I'd have had some remark to throw back at her, "hopefully I wouldn't have any issues".  Errr.

I'm not sure what advice I can offer since I did a different pre-op diet, but I can tell you if you are losing weight and have ketones in  your urine then you are on the right track.  That's all you can do.

My preop diet was different in that I drank 5 Medifast shakes a day and had one lean/green meal per day.  The days I felt weak and shakey and feeling like my blood sugar was a little "off" were days I missed my multi-vitamins.  

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.  I'm positive that you will gather great information from this site and forum as I have.  Without this site I'd have been a mess during my preop dieting period.

Amy T.
on 6/20/11 10:13 am - CA
Is there any way you can take your 3 meals a day and split them up to 6 small meals eating protein and veggies?  I have had hypoglycemia my entire adult life, and my blood sugar is more stable when I shift around my eating like that.  You will be eating the same amount of food, just better scheduled for your blood sugar.

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

princessfrogee
on 6/20/11 3:50 pm - AL
I have hypoglycemia also and that was my biggest worry over the pre-op diet.  My diet was a full liquid seven day diet.  The first day was hard due to the hypo. and I just had a few Tbsp of peanut butter and that helped.  That evening I got a bad headache that kept me up most of the night and carried over to the next day and by about 3 pm I gave in and went to Wendy's and got a little of their chili.  Within the hour my headache was gone and I had no more issues.  It got easier each day and here I am on day seven, surgery is tomorrow and all I had all day was two protein shakes and LOTS OF WATER to get myself hydrated good before surgery.  I also just recently found the K2O protein packs (5g protein) you add to water like Crystal Lite and the Protein2Go packs (10 g protein) and that helped as well.

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?