My Run

all-about-fun
on 6/23/11 11:59 pm - Minden, Canada
Well I went for my first run/walk 4 min walk and 1 min run, and I did that for 30 minutes. Well.... the run went better than I expected untill the next day!!!
I was in such pain... for 2 days after the run... lol
It was a good pain and I was happy to feel it... Now legs feel better so I can go for another run..

Kim S.
on 6/24/11 12:23 am - Helena, AL
And that is how it starts!  In a year, you'll be running for miles before you realize it.  Stop by the exercise forum and share your experiences there....many great folks, all fitness levels and no judgement--just support.

Happy running!  I'm addicted!!

Kim

Amy T.
on 6/24/11 12:35 am - CA
How exciting!!!  I can't wait to be doing the same thing.  Im only 2 weeks out - but one of my goals is to run. My hubby runs marathons, and one day I want to be running along side him!

Continued success!  Thanks for the motivation!
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

steve D.
on 6/24/11 12:54 am - West Fargo, ND
Stretch well before and after. That helps a little.  Congratulations!!!

Paul C.
on 6/24/11 1:03 am - Cumming, GA

I love seeing people starting out on such a positive path.

You will be sore as your body first begins to adjust to this type of activity, but you can do a few things to help.

1) Stretch - Stretch before you start and when you are done.  Try to hold each stretch for 30 seconds and you want to feel the pull when you stretch.  You want to tretch all muscle groups but really pay attention to the legs. Tight muscles will lead to injury.

2) Shoes - If you haven't already you may want to get fitted at a specialty running store.  Places like Foot Locker and Dick's just won't do until you really understand what shoe type you need.  Not all shoes are created for everyone different shoes are designed for different foot type and then also stride.   I used to run in my old street shoes and would get pain at around a half mile, hips knees and ankles.  I got my running shoes and went 2.5 miles the first time wearing them and only stopped because I was out of breath .

3) STRETCH!

4) Hydrate - When you start make sure you have water with you and sip often, the last thing you want is to dehydrate.  As you get more used to running this will become less of an issue as you also learn how and when to hydrate.

6) Start slow but don't be afraid to push yourself a bit. When you first start running the improvements may seem like they take forever but they are actually pretty quick when you understand the physiology invloved to run.

7) Run with a purpose.  Running with a purpose will help keep you focused and on track.

Agree with Kim, stop by the Exercise and Fitness Forum.  Great group of people to get inspiration and advice from.  No judgement and everyones workout is greeted with the same enthusiasm.

Good Luck!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
all-about-fun
on 6/24/11 2:16 am - Minden, Canada
Thanks for the tips, Kim and Paul.
I have purpose thats for sure, I will have to try harder on the stretching, I have to admit I did not stretch at all my first run, but after feeling it the next day, I am definately going to stretch the next run!!! lesson learned

Tina

halibee33
on 6/24/11 4:19 am - HI
Just jumping on your thread, sorry.  But Paul, where do you suggest going to get a shoe fitting?  I never really thought about it making a difference.  I just started adding jogging (a little at a time) to my walks and that sounds like a great idea.
SW: 232 CW: 141 GW: 150

Paul C.
on 6/24/11 6:05 am, edited 6/24/11 6:06 am - Cumming, GA
A specialty running store.  Not sure of your location but you should be able to find one.

A fitting goes something like this.

Stand on pressure mat that maps out the contours of your foot.
Sales guy brings a shoe for your foot type.
Put shoes on.
Get on Treadmill and walk/run/jog while they analyze your stride.

They will then bring out about 5-6 pairs of shoes of all price ranges for you to try. These shoes are designed based on the various support needs of your stride.  Once you get to this point it is about comfort.  As for prices in my area they run 90 and up my shoes cost the same at Dick's as they do at the running store so you really aren't paying a premium either. Don't buy based on name, or because you friend said Brooks are DA BOMB! based on what feels comfortable to you.

Do be shy or ashamed to go into the store either. I have come to learn that with the exception of the few elitist Aholes runners in general are awesome people who are willing to help and share their knowledge.

I see you are in HI if so a place like this

http://www.runningroomhawaii.com/
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views