for those of you who track your food....

twincredible
on 6/25/11 12:29 pm
Do you all weigh/measure/track non-starchy veggies or do you consider them a "free food"?  

I am 9 months out, just to put this question in perspective.

Up to this point, I have been tracking every single bite I eat (I use fatsecret.com).  I weigh and measure everything to be as accurate as possible.  I do know that the majority of my carbs come from veggies, so that may be a reason to continue to track.  However, as far as calories, should I be concerned with the calories that veggies contribute? 

It seems like a LOT of work to keep tracking my veggies because I eat a ton of salads with a 1/8 cup mushrooms, 1/8 cup chopped red peppers, 1/2 cup romaine, 1 tablespoon diced red onion, 2 oz grape tomatoes, etc.  Seems like a lot of weighing/measuring/tracking for negligible calories.

Obviously, I will still track the protein and dressing that I add to the salad.

Thanks!

Melissa
HW 320/SW 280/CW 149.5 /GW 145

Not the Same Dawn
on 6/25/11 12:42 pm - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I do..Just because I want to know..not really so much to keep track but it's like a banana vs an orange..or an apple..it's interesting to me.
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
twincredible
on 6/25/11 10:10 pm
I love your quote!  My RNY has worked for me, too.....but yes it does require lots of work from me! Work that I am all too happy to do!
Melissa

Price S.
on 6/25/11 9:36 pm - Mills River, NC
I generalize when it comes to the stuff like that that is mostly water, little carbs and fiber.  I do count the dressing and protein if I add those. 

There are sites, Sparkpeople does a good one, that will allow you to create a meal or do a recipe and then you would have the totals and could add that into your site if you think it is important.

I use the tracker on this site and sometimes just find something that is close to what I had and use it.  I don't think any of them are perfect and although I feel tracking is very important, it can drive you crazy and take up way too much time if you try to track every everything.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

twincredible
on 6/25/11 10:09 pm
Thanks for your responses!  I agree that tracking is critically important, and I actually enjoy the sense of control I have that comes from being 100% accountable to myself about what I eat. 

I did some searching last night and found an entry in fatsecret that lists "salad greens with assorted vegetables" that pretty closely matches my stats for my salads (minus protein and dressing).  That will make is less cumbersome!

Melissa

siberiancat
on 6/26/11 3:02 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I do track my veggies.  My salads are usually organic baby greens, yellow peppers, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.  I only figured calories once and just and record that amount daily.  I also use the same size container for salad - so same thing - just needed to measure it once.

Then I add - boiled egg or cheese or shrimp or meat and add that to my food log.

I also keep 4x6 in colored index cards with my favorite foods (calories, protein gm, carb gms) and then just refer to them if I haven't had something and can't remember the statistics.

I've done the same with my favorites fruits (all fresh).  I use the same container (I have several) so I don't need to use a measuring cup.

Favorite recipes - I add totals once and put the serving size on my index card.

I also have pretty much the same foods daily.  It is easy for me and I don't have much of an appetite.  I know what foods "sit well" in my pouch and tend to stick with them.

Meals have become a means of nourishment and energy - food just doesn't appeal to me like it used to since I've given up white flour, white sugar, white potatoes, white rice, pasta, junk food & fast food.

I go for protein first (meals and planned snacks) then veggies, fruit & whole grain.  That's all I need.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

twincredible
on 6/26/11 7:27 am

Thanks, Penny!  I also tend to eat a lot of the same things over and over, for the same reasons.  I have also given up all the white things you listed, and anything fried. 

I also do protein first and am usually able to manage veggies at all meals/planned snacks, but I rarely get to fruit.  I do manage to get a few whole grains in, mainly via quinoa which I use like rice, mixed with veggies and a protein.  Fruit really impacts my blood sugar, so I tend to avoid it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I always enjoy reading your posts...I think that you and I approach our journeys in a similar way.  :)

Melissa

Paul C.
on 6/26/11 11:43 am - Cumming, GA
I track virtually everything that goes into my mouth to both keep me accountable and 2 make sure I am getting enough calories as opposed to to many.

I do know cardio trainer has an app that allows for generalized tracking where you say how many portions of X you ate, but I never really used it as it doesn't give me my protein and carb breakdown.  I use livestraong which allows me to track virtually everything and will give me my net calories Calories in - Calories Out (Exercise).  It also allows you to creat recipies for common meals so you don't have to put in everything each time you eat it. 

Good Luck.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
jillbhappy
on 6/27/11 8:21 am - Oceanside, CA
YES I TRACK EVERYTHING
Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!