Drinking Fluids Faster

berduboy
on 6/25/11 5:35 am
I am four months out and I can drink my fluid real fast now.  I can drink an 11oz protein shake in about 5-10 min.  Is this ok.  I keep reading not to worry about liquids becasue they flow right through the pouch.
Sasrah1972
on 6/25/11 5:44 am - NY
I was just thinking about this. I am 6 weeks out and am having no trouble with drinking. HUGE gulps make weird noises but otherwise I'm fine. I think being aware of it will slow you down a bit...
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/11 6:12 am - OH
Yes, you are fine.  The only reason for the "sipping mandate" right after surgery is that SOME people (and not even everyone) find it painful to take more than sips while the pouch is still healing.  Many (most?) of us who are several years out drink just like we did pre-op (except for serious "chuggers", LOL.).

If you drink too much too fast, the liquid will just start to back up into your esophagus, and you can definitely feel that!  When that happens, just wait a minute to let some of the fluid flow out of the pouch and then you can resume drinking.

As long as you are not experiencing any discomfort, whatever you are doing is fine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

armywife05
on 6/25/11 6:55 am
Anyone know?....Can you stretch out your pouch by drinking too much too fast, or the opening to your pouch by take too big a gulps? I've been wondering this myself, I'm about 8 weeks out and I've noticed that I can drink faster and take bigger sips. I get a lot of air and burp like crazy, but it doesn't hurt or anything. I'm jusst so scared to screw this up!!
First Goal

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/11 8:07 am - OH
No, you CANNOT stretch anything by drinking too much or too fast.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Carrie W.
on 6/25/11 7:03 am - KY
I drink fast and have been able to since day one. In fact, I put a straw in my am shake and just suck it down. It doesn't hurt or cause me to be uncomfortable.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

berduboy
on 6/25/11 7:12 am
Thank you to everyone that responded.  I feel more comfortable now.
princessfrogee
on 6/25/11 2:18 pm - AL
So glad I went back over some of the past few days' posts I missed.  I am on day 5 and today can drink almost double what I did yesterday and was stressing if it was normal or something I did.  It took almost all day yesterday to get in an 11 oz shake and half a bottle of water and I felt full as a tic all day.  Today was easier, but made me wonder.  Thanks for the info.,

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Mia H.
on 6/25/11 3:11 pm - OH
 Yesterday was my full day home and no IV.  I only managed about 24 oz by mouth and 4 oz by gtube.  Today, I managed 46 oz and 2 oz by gtube (I am trying not to depend on my tube).  Its tough.  I'm just not thirsty or feel full as well.  Tomorrow, I am hoping to get in at least one more bottle of water.  It's tougher than I thought it would be.  I definitely do not want to be dehydrated.   Today, I did find that I can drink warm liquids better than cold so I bought some SF hot cocoa and gonna try that with some unflavored protein mix in it.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics