Pre Op Weight loss... How much did you lose?

UH60Wife
on 6/25/11 4:13 am - KS
I started my preop diet on the 10th of June starting weight of 321.  I'm on a 30 day 1200 Calorie Diet that consists of 4-5 HP shakes, 1 control bar, a list of veggies and broths up to a cup or so and a Frozen entree up to 400 calories.   I have been sticking to my diet.  Only failure is trying to get all the shakes in!   So for once in my life its not eating it all! Instead of not eating to much.  

I hadn't weighed since I started my pre op and I went in for my EGD yesterday the 24th and found out my weight which is now 312.  9 pounds in 14 days... I dunno if that's bad or good.   My doctor wanted me to lose at least 30 before surgery which is the 12th of July.

Now I'm just down about it :(  I asked him if i should maybe cut out the nightly entree and he told me to do what my NUT has told me to do and I should be fine. SIGH...

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." Judy Garland

Celia S.
on 6/25/11 4:40 am - Grand Junction, CO
If your surgeon said to just stick with what the NUT told you to do and you'll be fine, I would take his word for it. He's the only that has the final decision to operate or not, so I think you'll be fine! :)

My insurance requires a 3 month supervised diet for approval, so I have been on a 1500 cal diet, limiting carbs and trying to get in more protein than I used to as to try and get used to the kind of diet I will be following once I can eat solids post-op.

I started my 1500 cal diet on May 13 at the starting weight of 383, and I am now 6 weeks and 2 days in and I weighed in Thursday at 364, so I've lost 19 lbs so far in 6 weeks. Because of my already low cal diet I'm not going to be required to be on full liquids or a further reduced low-cal diet right before surgery.

Good news is that with every pound you lose, the happier your liver will be (and the easier it will be for your surgeon to move it out of the way! :)

Congrats on your 9 lbs loss! That's awesome. Just keep up the hard work and stick to the plan your NUT has set up for you. Best wishes to you! :)
UH60Wife
on 6/25/11 5:51 am - KS
Congrats on yours as well :D Any weight loss at this point is awesome! I am just so damned scared of messing this up after trying so hard to get here ya know :(

LoL Should Start a Liver Mantra Ya :P HAPPY LIVER HAPPY LIVER HAPPY LIVER! SHRINK SHRINK SHRINK te he he he.

Its hard after years of being overweight and various diets to tell myself that eating all this food they are telling to eat will help me lose weight.   I know their methods are tried and true! I love my NUT and my Surgeon... Think fear causes people to revert to previous habits and behaviors O.o Bad me I WILL BE OK ! :P

Just that fear of not reaching the 30lb goal and them telling me This isn't going to happen scares the living heck outta me! 

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." Judy Garland

lovinme4ever
on 6/25/11 5:57 am
My pre op diet was a two week liquid diet that I was supposed to get in 1200 caleries a day (for some reason I only got in 1000 caleries a day - I just couldn't stand all the sweet stuff ie shakes, pudding, jello, etc). It was hard at first and then got much easier. I lost 15 pounds and after my surgery my doctor told me that I did the diet very well. I guess I shunk my liver which was the intention.

I am sure as long as you keep moving along as you are you will be just fine as your doctor says.
Lovinme4ever    
thinkingthin2011
on 6/25/11 6:05 am - RI
I started my 2 week preop diet on the 14th and so far am down 7.5 pounds.  I go in for surgery on the 28th.  I drink 3 protein shakes a day and eat one small balanced meal a night.  I was stressed out about only being able to eat once a day but so far so good.  I just keep telling myself that it needs to be done or they will not operate.  I am a little nervous about  Monday since I cannot eat at all that day only the liquids.  I think I may be a little cranky that day but the surgery is Tuesday so I will just keep telling myself that.  Good luck to you all!!!!!
roxie46
on 6/25/11 8:56 am
When I started my pre op liquid diet all I could have is the 3 shakes a day, 2 cups of either v8 juice or tomato juice, choose from 1 c of milk or 1/2 c of cottage cheese or 6oz of low fat yogurt. drink lots of water and i could have sugar free ice pops along with the water and I lost 10 pounds. I started out at 269 before the diet and at time of surgery I weighed 254.4 . My surgery was May 17th and as of yesturday I weighed 234 so I lost from the surgery 20.4 pounds but if you count the pre op diet then total of 35 pounds and to me thats great since its been so hard for me to lose a few pounds cause when ever I lose I gain it back just looking at the food it seemed like to me. but now my doctor told me I am doing great and eating solid foods. the only thing that I really dont like is my nutrionist told me to eat the meat first like 8oz then if hungry eat a veggie but I dont even get a total of 8 oz of food in so I think she ment try no more than 6 oz then eat a little veggie if still hungry. so far I am do good. And I am sure pround of myself for finally being on the right track and being able to ride my recumbant bike especailly when it rains. Good luck to all of you on your journey. ....Roxanne
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/25/11 6:29 am
I did Optifast for 6 weeks (42 days) and lost approx. 30 lbs.  I think you are doing fine.

Winnie

Kristen M.
on 6/25/11 6:42 am - VA
 I start my pre-op diet july 11th & the only things I am allowed are clear broth, sugar free popcicles & jello, and low calories drinks like crystal light, propel, and water! i'm excited to see how much I lose frm this diet! oh & i have to drink 5 protein shakes a day!
What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
UH60Wife
on 6/25/11 6:57 am - KS
Its so amazing how to diets differ huh! But i guess it would be even crazier if it was all the same since we are all so different.  Congrats all you guys! 

Carrie W.
on 6/25/11 7:14 am - KY
I had two weeks between in initial consult and my surgery. I was told to lose 5-15lbs in that time to shrink my liver. I did two protein shakes a day and a very small meal, similar to how I eat now post-op. I also binged a couple times during those two weeks. Then I had 3 days of clear liquids. I lost 14lbs in those two weeks.

If your doctor told you to just stick to it, he's not concerned. Just roll with it.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 293 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?