Burning pain in lower left abdomen

princessfrogee
on 6/28/11 10:31 am - AL
Hello everybody!  I am one week post-op and so far all has gone perfectly with little to no pain.   Occassionally I will get a burning twinge in my lower left abdomen (not gas, not an outer incsision area) if I turn too fast or something, but nothing major...until today.

Today I had to sneeze and despite trying to make it not happen, it did, then quickly followed with another causing burning pain in my lower left abdomen.  It was burning and sore maybe 5-10 mins then kind of seemed ok after that, but later I laid down to rest on my bed and I have had to be careful getting off of my bed as I have to roll to my left side and about an hour ago I did so only to get that burning pain again and it lasted a long time.  I sat on the side of the bed a few mins. then got up and walked around to see if that would help.  But it kept burning for a while.

I have my one wk post-op apt with the surgeon tomorrow and can ask then, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this and what their docs told them about it?  I almost wondered if they had sewn the extra stomach over here or something?  I tried to look it up on the OH search but there weren't many answers there.  I definitely know it IS NOT gas.  I have had almost zero issues with gas pain and this is definitely different.

Thanks!

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
glassgirl
on 6/28/11 10:37 am
I had the same pain for a while after surgery.  I think it has to do with the equipment they use for lap surgery.  That was the only side that hurt, but it gets better.
I could sleep on my side the first night home, but the left side was definately  more sore than the right. 

princessfrogee
on 6/28/11 10:47 am - AL
I would LOVE to be able to sleep/rest on one of my sides right now!  I hate sleeping on my back anyway, but my back and rear-end are TIRED!!   I get up and walk and stand all day long, but am definitely sitting and laying more than I did pre-op and my backside is protesting!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 1:08 pm - TX
I didn't mention that using the belly binder helped me a LOT with this pain. I put it as tight as I could and the support really helped with the pain.
Carrie S.
on 6/28/11 11:21 am - Asheville, NC
I'm a week out and my left side is KILLING me.  It felt like it was getting better, but I got my drainage tube out today and now there's a constant ache on my left.   The surgeon said it was perfectly normal.  That's good, but doesn't help with the pain!  LOL    But this too shall pass I suppose.  

Good luck!
   RNY June 22, 2011        Asheville, NC
    c
www.carriestewartemrick.wordpress.com 
Highest Weight 250      Starting Weight  226      Goal Weight  ???
Height 5'  6.5"
GastricKitty
on 6/28/11 11:27 am - VA
 I had surgery the day before you did. I had the same thing happened to me. I just took it easy for a day or so and I was fine. I walked around a lot and that helped. I also try to make sure to press a pillow against my stomach when I sneeze or at least my hands. I just saw my surgeon today for my one week post op and he said I was fine. :)
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 1:06 pm - TX
Same thing happened to me. I even went back to the doc because it seemed to get worse from week one through week three. Basically he said it was where the stapler was inserted and most of the pulling, tugging, and stitching was done....and there could ******ve bundle cut. The pain for me was seriously bad - had problems stepping over the tub to get into the shower, getting off the toilet, and it was a month before I could sleep in my bed.

It did heal and go away. I was fine four weeks out. I honestly just used the Lortab when it was awful, but it was mostly awful with sudden movement of the abdomen or the muscles around it. Once I was up, I could walk around fine.

I am fine at 15 weeks out. I occasionally get a twinge in the place when I am doing serious exercising (pushups especially, or jump rope) but it isn't painful, just a reminder I guess.
losing-jennifer
on 6/28/11 9:23 pm
That happened to me around a week post op...the burn was awful! Happened when I tried to drive too far. Doc said it was me pulling on my internal stitches and that was what it felt like!
princessfrogee
on 6/29/11 10:41 am - AL
Went to post-op apt today.  Yes, it seems they cut through the muscle there and have to staple that back once they are done with the insides.  He said it is probably pulling where the staples are in the muscle and that is normal.  (Just strange it hasn't hurt the whole wee****il the sneezing fit) But he says it seems fine and "normal".  So we will see how that goes... the burning isn't there today, but the tugging/pulling/pinching feel is.  Just gonna take it especially easy the next few days and hope it goes away.

Thanks for your responses!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views