RNY vs. DS

~*K J*~
on 6/30/11 12:02 pm - MD
Hello! I have been jumping back and forth between the RNY and DS boards. Right now I am in the process of getting approved for the RNY. However, i keep hearing the the DS is better long term and for several other reasons. Can you guys shed some light on why you chose RNY over DS? Thank you for any input.  
 ~*KJ* HW 330 Day of Sugery 320

Lori P.
on 6/30/11 12:10 pm - Kenosha, WI
My resaons for choosing Rny.....

1) I had to "fast track" my surgery d/t insurance change from one the would cover WLS to one one that would not cover WLS

2) I only really knew about the band and the rny to start....when I became aware of other options, I was running out of time to really consider them seriously

3) the Rny seemed a resonable choice at my BMI (40) and my issuses with eating.

4) the DS may have been too big of a surgery for me....I got down to 115lbs with very little effort (that was a bit too low for me) and I am maintaining at under 120 so far....but I am only 1 year out.

5) so far I am happy....though I wish I could take NSAIDS d/t arthritis....that is my only real regret with the rny. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

JerseyJim
on 6/30/11 12:26 pm - Sayre, PA
 I chose RNY because it had a better track record of dealing with my particular co-morbidities (GERD, diabetes, etc.), plus the possibility of dumping seemed like a better tool to help control my sugar addiction.  Of course I'm only 6 weeks out, so I don't even know if I dump yet.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/30/11 12:42 pm - OH
I started with a high BMI (57) so I considered DS.  It does have better statistics for keeping the weight off long-term (but you can out-eat even a DS).  I chose RNY because:

1) I was already concerned about the potential nutritional deficiencies with the RNY, and the DS has more of the intestine bypassed, so that made me even MORE uncomfortable, especially when I considered what is going to happen when I am in my 60s adn 70s and 80s when the body because less efficient at absorbing nutrients anyway.
2) I was not sure I could remain compliant with the alrger numebr fo vitamin supplements required fro the DS.  I ahve enough trouble keeping up with the ones I have for the RNY, so in hindsight, that was a very legitimate concern!
3) When I looked at the potential side effects fo the two surgeries, I could live with all of the ones from the RNY, but I personally knew someone who had the DS and had terrible problems with oily diarrhea (to the point that she always kept a change of clothes in her car just in case), and I was NOT willing to take the chance that I would be like her.  MOST people with DS do NOT have this problem, but I was not willing to take the chance.
4) a couple fo people I know who had the DS basically still eat the same crappy food they always ate and brag a bout it... about how they had thsi surgery and it is a "get out of jail free" card for eating whatever they want... and I did not want to end up like that (and feared that I might since they were still eating many of the things that made me obese in the first place)... I wanted to have a healthy diet (not saying that the DSers in general do NOT... but several of the ones I know DON'T) and I wanted to hold myself responsible for making healthy choices... and RNY seemed a better choice from that standpoint.
5) I did not like the idea of the remnant stomach being removed and not available in the very remote possibility that because of cancer or other illness or injury I needed it.

I was hoping that I would dump with the RNY to help encourage me to limit the sweets, but knew that I might not (I do, but it takes SO much to make it happen that for practical purposes, I DON'T).  I don;t regret choosing RNY over the DS.  IF I were going to do it all over again, though, I would probably actually have the sleeve if insurance would cover it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katari
on 6/30/11 1:50 pm - OR
I had a lowish BMI (42ish) and thought the DS might be a more drastic surgery than what I really needed. I did want the malabsorption from the procedure as those tend to have a little better resolution for my metabolism problems. I knew I was going to have enough of a hard time keeping up with the RNY vitamin schedule that the idea of even greater malabsorption of the DS scared me. Truthfuly, now even almost 2 years out I still have to force myself to take the darn vit's! My insurance for the hospital I was going to use only had the lap-band and RNY available easily. I'd have had to go to a different hospital, and pay out of pocket for either the VSG and the DS, and I didn't feel that for ME that was a good option. I wanted something that many Dr.'s are familiar with. While the DS'ers like to say they would "educate" their doctors I would worry about being in an emergancy situation where I was unable to communicate what special requirements I might need for treatment if I had the DS. I already have many allergies in the NSAID's list that not being able to take them the rest of my life didn't bother me. There are alternatives available.
So far I'm very happy with my RNY. I'm almost 2 years out now, have had no complications, love my "new" life! Losing for me was fairly easy, I'm much more active, and I hope that helps maintain my weight (although, I could do with at least some bounce back weight).
Best  of luck with your journey which ever road you take!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Carrie W.
on 6/30/11 2:22 pm - KY
1. My insurance didn't cover it.

2. I have an active life. I didn't want to be one of those people who are tied to the bathroom. One of my HUGE goals for WLS is to go on a weekend trail ride. I'm not sure that could happen if I'd had a DS.

3. I'm young. The truly long term complications aren't as well known as RNY.

4. My surgeon agreed with my decision for the RNY.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?