Will Caronated Beverages Hurt the pouch?

kevinj
on 7/1/11 11:12 pm - NY
It is that time of the year and I would like to partake in the festivities with a low carb beer. Will it be an issue?

TrueNorthFriend
on 7/1/11 11:32 pm - Canada
From what I've read before, it CAN be an issue.   Alcohol is usually metabolized way quicker so you don't need nearly as much.  Carbonation (bubbles) really don't agree with some folks.  Then, there are folks who are very concerned about transfer addictions.  I can drink carbonated beverages if I let them go a bit flat - most enjoyable that way.  And sipping is way better than taking that satisfying chug on a hot day.  Satisfying chugs can pay you pack, if you know what I mean!
Zombie
on 7/1/11 11:45 pm
It depends on how far out you are and how you drink the beverage. I think early on they don't want you to drink carbonated drinks because of the air the bubbles make. The air is gonna make you really uncomfortable and you will start hurting. I don't think its bad for the pouch, I'm living proof of that, but I don't see the harm in it, just be careful. I agree with the previous poster, just sip away at it.

~Paul~

Amy R.
on 7/1/11 11:48 pm
NO. They WONT hurt your pouch. They don't effect your pouch at all, in spite of the forever-circulating myth that they "expand" it.

Carbonation might hurt YOU, physically, only in the sense that it may make you uncomfortable. You might want to start slowly - you'd hate to gulp a beer and then realize too late that you were very uncomfortable with carbonation.

Personally, I drink Diet Coke every day and have had other carbonated beverages. They don't bother me a bit. I've never even bothered letting them go flat first.

Didn't start with them until I was about 10 months out though.

Enjoy your beer, if that's what you decide to do =)

Oh, and BTW, alcoholic beverage metabolize differently in our bodies now. You can feel totally sober and still be legally drunk (some of us even after as small an amount as a glass of wine) so you should NEVER drive for at least several hours after drinking.
seashell6417
on 7/2/11 12:01 am - Gaylord, MN
I agree w/ Amy.  Yes, they could hurt your pouch as in cause pain.  No, they won't hurt your pouch as in damage it.  At almost 2 1/2 years out even a sip of carbonated drinks causes pain for me.
Tami

M M
on 7/2/11 12:13 am
 The bubbles won't, necessarily.  GO VERY VERY SLOW.

The calories can.

The alcohol will.

BE CAREFUL.

Carrie W.
on 7/2/11 12:58 am - KY
I drink the occasional diet coke. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not. Sometimes I get a burning sensation in my pouch. I had a really bad incident with vinegar so I think my little pouch is sensitive to acid. I haven't tried any in about a month just because it hurt last time.

Like everybody else said, the bubbles won't do anything but make you uncomfortable, NOT stretch your pouch.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Jacobsmama08
on 7/2/11 1:06 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Hi! I recently heard what the 'real' reason is they want you to stay away from carbonation... so it was said... by the moderater of my support group. The chemical that makes the bubbles, forgive me as I don't remember the name of the chemical, but apparently the chemical in the soda/ beer whatever that makes it bubbly eats at the calcium in our bones.... and since we post RNYers have issue with absorbing calcium and a lot of us go deficient in the calcium department, drinking carbonation just adds insult to injury. I imagine a beer or two now and again is not gonna hurt you, but a daily habit of diet coke, or something similiar just might... unless you up your calcium intake. And being a guy, you're less in jeapordy than we women are.

Do keep in mind that you are going to react differently to the alcohol, as well, so sip slowly and see how your body reacts.

And have fun!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

kevinj
on 7/2/11 2:00 am - NY
Thanks everyone and have a happy 4th!!!

MSW will not settle
on 7/2/11 2:18 am
No, carbonation does not damage the pouch.  After a year I stopped restricting carbonation.  Less than a year out I enjoyed carbonation in small amounts on rare occaisions. 

Carbonation may be uncomfortable or make your pouch act up(I.E. tummy ache or tossig your cookies).  I would not have carbonated beverages less than six months out but note that I said I

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 506 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 186 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?