Need help with vitamin dosage, 23 mo. out

Andy Lafferty
on 7/2/11 4:21 am - Baltimore, MD
 Hi,Im Andy

Im taking  a Multi vit(rite aid central vite) ,Calcium(500mg), D3(1000 iu),B12 (500mg),Ginko Biloba(3.6mg),Niacin(400mg),Beta Carotene(25,00iu).
I'm 23 months out of Rny and have lost almost 300 LBS (yeah I gotta brag :P)
My dilemma is how many times should I take these a day and how should I stagger the dosage?

If anyone can give me some help id really appreciate it.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

lilredcrvtt
on 7/2/11 4:33 am
Have you had any post op blood work?  Your doctor can tell you what you are deficient in.  I was told not to take calcium with anything else as it blocks certain minerals from entering your bloodstream.  I am on a prenatal vitamin for the extra iron which I take at bedtime, calcuim and vit D taken in the morning and afternoon.  That is all I am on.  I will wait for my bloodwork before I add any more.
Dave Chambers
on 7/2/11 4:59 am - Mira Loma, CA
You don't mention labs, and that's where you need to start.  I can almost bet you that your D is very low or deficient on 1000IU.  You need a lot more as a post op.  I had D issues post op, and I currently take the 50K iu dry D3 from vitalady.  My last labs (Oct, 10) were at a 65.  Post ops should shoot for a range of 80-90. I had been taking 4 of the 50k dry D3 per week, and I've now moved it up to 7 per week, so that my numbers will hopefully be at 80 plus on my next labs in a few months.  You don't state whether the calcium is actually calcium citrate, which is the form of calcium you should use.  If it's not, get calcium citrate, and you'd need 3 of the 500mg per day, not all at one time either.  The dosages of most supplements may be different than another patient, than another, except for calcium citrate.  It might not be a bad idea to get a bone scan.  Even though I watch my calcium closely and have yet to reach 80 on my D labs, I had ostopenia--the narrow gray area between normal and osteoperosis.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 504 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 208 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?