Blood Sugar of 45?!?!

meinnm
on 7/5/11 6:29 am
OK.  So I think I might have RH.  I've had issues on and off for about a year now.  Last week I was visiting my daughter in LA and after a pretty hard workout I had her test my sugar.  I wasn't feeling too well, so I knew it was low.  It was 45.  From what I am reading now, that is extremely low.  I ate some pbutter & cheese and felt better within 1/2 hr or so.  I called my doc today so I can get a monitor.  Ugh. Any comments, suggestions, help would be much appreciated!
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 6:43 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Yep, sounds like RH.  Since you now know you have this syndrome, just make sure you eat properly:  4 to 5 small meals daily.  A small meal can be as little as a deli meat & cheese rollup w/mustard, or a high protein bar.

You just need to get a blood glucose meter, and once you learn how you feel when it strikes you can take immediate corrective action.

We can, and do, easily live with this condition.  Learn to pay attention to your body--which is something we should all do!  It will become second nature soon, and you'll do well.

Good luck! 
nfarris79
on 7/5/11 6:47 am - Germantown, MD
 Be careful with those workouts - have something on hand when you plan to exercise & test frequently to see what your BG patterns are.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Sue C
on 7/5/11 6:47 am - Fargo, ND
I was camping this past weekend and Monday morning woke up, unable to talk and uncontrollable arm and leg movement.  Paramedics were called.  Bllod sugar was 41!!  Off to the ER I went.  Scary stuff since my boyfriend had never been around anything like that.  He thought I was having a stroke.  This happened once before, about 4 years ago.  I had forgotten to take my glucose tablets before I went to bed.  I also didnt eat enough throughout the day and drank to much!

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

meinnm
on 7/5/11 7:03 am
Wow!  That sounds really scary!  I wonder if you were having a seizure - from what I'm reading today, that is a symptom. 

My doctor just called me and I have an apt tonight. Wow. That was quick.  What's really weird is that I have felt that way before many times - I just didn't have access to a monitor. Glad I had her check it.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.  I'm jotting them down now!

Mary
siberiancat
on 7/5/11 7:37 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I've had mine dip in the 40's too.  I try to have a small snack (protein & complex carb/fat - whole wheat cracker with cheese or PB, or a bite or two of a protein or low sugar energy bar) inbetween meals.  I thought I might have problems after plastic surgery 6 weeks ago - but I've done fine with the meals/planned snacks.  I keep protein bar in my purse, desk and car.

I don't drink alcohol or eat simple sugars or carbs as they make me dump and drive my sugar up and then it plummets.

I'm afraid to eat concentrated sweet when blood sugar is low.  I'm afraid it will some how "open a door" that I'm trying to keep closed these last 27 months.  I'm trying to keep the carb monster at bay.

I'm still experimenting on what works best for me.  I also find it is important to keep hydrated.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

nana2boys
on 7/5/11 1:55 pm
If you know that you are going to exercise hard or work hard at any project that involves exercise, you can eat a protein snack before you do the activity.  My diabetes educator told us to do this.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404