Am I bending the rules?

Shellbatronic
on 7/7/11 9:27 am - NC
I'm about one week out from surgery, and have moved onto strained cream soups and puddings, things like that. Tonight my boyfriend ordered Indian takeaway for dinner, and I had 2 oz of tikka masala sauce, just the cream sauce stuff, no chicken chunks. That was in 15 minutes, and then in another 15 minutes I had 2 oz of mulligatawny soup, also no chunks. I know the fat content is a little high, but it went down and I haven't had any issues.

Does that mean I'm broken? Not having experienced any I'll effects to any foods so far makes me afraid that the surgery didn't work right haha. Or, that I will screw it up, even if all I eat is two ounces,

What do you think? This is probably the highest fat content I've had since surgery, other than that today I've had one protein shake, pudding made with skim milk, lots of water (found some Ginger infused water that is amazing), and about 6 oz Isopure. Plus I walked one whole mile today after working up to it all week. Was this ok for dinner?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/7/11 9:33 am - OH
Not everyone reacts negatively to fat content in foods post-op.  I have no idea how high the fat is in what you ate, nor do I know what your surgoen's post-op eating instructions were (I came home from the hospital on soft foods) so I cannot comment on how appropriate it was to eat it.  All I can say is to follow your surgeon's plan.  You do not have to eat only fat free stuff but you don;t want to eat too much fat, either.

MOST people have no trouble eating after surgery, BTW!  Unfortunately, because the few people who DO have trouble are the ones who post the most because they are the ones with the questions and need support, it can give the impression that most people do... when that simply is NOT the case.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ThinnerAngel
on 7/7/11 9:34 am - Rochester, NY
If you are questioning your intake on a public forum I wonder if you are seeking afformation? 1 week out I coulod NEVER have tolerated what you ate.

NO, you are not broken....just remember what brought you to GBP and what will lead you out. My take on the issue. GL!!

Price S.
on 7/7/11 10:42 am - Mills River, NC
Stay on your plan and you probably will continue to have no problems.  Some folks do dump on fat so stay on plan.  Get your fluids in and your protein.  You have the rest of your life to eat whatever your boyfriend brings home.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jaysgirl303
on 7/7/11 11:22 pm - VA
Don't feel bad, The whole purpose of this surgery is to learn how to listen to your new body.No you should NOT go crazy but I don't think you did anything wrong by having some cream soup. I am only a few days ahead of you and I have gotten Wendy chili 2 times and strained it and just ate the soupy part (very yummy) and tried re-fried beans with lots of liquid to thin. I was so worried I did something wrong but my body is OK and I only eat 1 or 2 tbls at a time. I thought I had damaged myself also but then I have talked to many people that have had this and they left the hospital eating this stuff. So just take it easy and and I think you are fine having it  just don't over do it

Paul C.
on 7/7/11 11:30 pm - Cumming, GA
If you have to question if you are bending the rules then you probably know the answer is closer to yes than it would be to no.  Indian sauces and soups in general are high in fat so while not "Technically" breaking the rule on creamed soups it wasn't the best choice you could have made.

Being so soon out of surgery you should focus on your protein intake.  If it doesn't go towards you Liquid goal or protein goal then you should question if you really need (not want) it.

Just my opinion.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views