Ulcer Question

dlo2
on 7/8/11 6:07 am - Brandenburg, KY
I have seen several of you talk about ulcer pain.  Is this a constant pain or does it come and go.  I have an ulcer and the Dr. is not sure that is the cause of my pain.  The pain comes and goes.  It may happen three or four times a day or sometimes I go a weekor more without any pain.  When the pain comes on it is extremely painfully but usually last only about 10 minutes or so and then it is gone.  Which I am grateful for because I would rate the pain a 10 out of 10 when I have it.  Do any of you with ulcers experience this type of pain.  I am having another scope done on Mon. to check things out.  I would think I would have constant pain if it was an ulcer and it doesn't hurt when I eat.  sometimes the pain can wake me up out of a sound sleep.

If anyone has any suggestions or input I would really appreciate it.
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/8/11 6:13 am
Sounds more like a blockadge to me - twisted bowels? heria? GB?
Ulcer - once it start hurting - it hurts. sometimes more when you eat,

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dlo2
on 7/8/11 10:15 pm - Brandenburg, KY
I had a blockage last August and they thought that was the problem, but a week after the surgery the pain started again.  I have had several CT scans and several scopes, which is when they found the ulcer.  This has been going on for at least a year and a half.  They just can't find the cause.  The next step is exploratory surgery which I am not so sure I want because they looked around when I had the blockage and didn't see anything else. I had my gallbladder out when I had the RNY so that is not the problem.  The dr. offered to give me pain meds but as I told him the pain meds wouldn't do any good because the pain would be gone way before the meds would take effect.  So I just deal with it each time it happens.  I am thankful it only last a few minutes.  My concern is one of these days it is not going to stop.  Thanks for your replys.  Maybe this time the scope will tell them more.
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/9/11 12:49 am, edited 7/9/11 12:50 am
hmmm... you describe what happened to me...
I was in a horrible pain... on and off... the pain was short, and as in your case - sometimes it woke me up.  and then it was gone, almost instantly, as if that nothing was wrong. There was a time that I  thought I was crazy.  But symptoms indicated some sort of blockage. Or GB problem. Then the pain lasted to the point of me sobbing in pain.  And after that - everything I ate caused it. I was on liquids for 2 weeks.  The tests showed some issue with GB... so my doc went it, took GB out and fixed hernia.    Most likely the hernia was the real issue for the pain. 
10 days later - the pain returned.  And it was bad.  Not able to get up bad, bent in half bad... My docs thought that it may be due to the earlier surgery and my insides trying to move to their right places after they were handled. I lived with on and off pain for close to a year.  There were weeks that nothing bothered me, and there were weeks that I was in pain every day.  The pain again was like before... Pain ... then suddenly, there was an instant relief.  Except, the no-pain time were getting shorter.  The few cat scans I had showed nothing.  I also had an ulcer - but that pain was different.  more burning, not stubbing, and once the pain started - it took time for it to go away... not like with that other pain. 
Eventually - I agreed to surgery. My doc wanted to do it 6 months before I agreed.  But I had enough.  During the surgery - my doc found a HUGE hernia, with my intestines inside of it.  The surgery lasted over 2.5 hrs  and not 1.5 as expected. He had to put a mesh, double stitched it, etc.  But it worked.   After the initial recovery - I can eat again... and feel more "normal".
But - I do know that I have adhesions.  I can feel them.  But the pain I have now - is a normal 1-3 (scale 1-10) and only if I eat too much, the wrong food, or have BM issue.  My insides are just more "sensitive" now.  The gas pains - are horrible.  That's why I try to avoid most foods that can cause exessive gas.   
BTW: the issue may be adhesions, or hernia, or... even intussesception .  Unfortunately some of the issues are very difficult to diagnose. Even with surgery.  Good luck.

Check Lisa story.. you can PM her and ask for symptoms and how it was diagnosed:
intussesception

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/sex_before_and_after_wls/4 401684/saying-hey/#36393365

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Paul C.
on 7/8/11 6:31 am - Cumming, GA
I only get pain with Ulcers when I have drank or eat.  During Ulcers for me an Empty pouch is a painless pouch.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
dlo2
on 7/8/11 10:18 pm - Brandenburg, KY
that is exactly why I don't think this is from an ulcer. 
nate2009
on 7/8/11 6:39 am - Lebanon, OH
My ulcers cause just a burning type pain and would rate it 5 out of 10. I have suffered through blockages and that is a 10 of 10 but lasts for hours. I'm thinking gallbladder ..... but I don't get paid to think and I still have to pay to park at the hospital
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
dlo2
on 7/8/11 10:17 pm - Brandenburg, KY
My gallbladder was removed when I had the rny.  I am not convienced that this pain is from my ulcer but they can't seem to figure it out.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Forum Search Error & 404