Surgeon Issue

bomoni727
on 7/10/11 1:53 am - MN
 Hello All,
I am really seeking your advice on this one.  So as not to ramble one and one, here it is in a nutshell.  I have one more appt. with nutritionist before info can be submitted to insurance for approval.  Everything else has been done and ready to go.  The surgeon is going to refuse my surgery if I don't have teeeth done on at least one side on the bottom missing molars.  He is known to be very strict about teeth moreso than other surgeons.  I'm stuck with him so don't know what to do.  Like many of you, I don't have a lot of money stashed somewhere to pay for this right now.  Even after insurance pays their portion I'm still looking at quite a bit.  Yes I know this is important to chewing my food, yes I know that there won't be as much acid in my stomach after surgery to break down and process my food.  I am in agreement with that.  However, he won't even consider the surgery if I've at least started the process of dental work.  Now mind you, I chew just fine with the teeth that I have but he won't budge.

I have worked hard and long on this process and am very frustrated about this last minute snag.  I am looking at a surgery date in early August.  Could someone please respond about this issue with an open mind.  I feel that I am trying to approach this with an open mind, but also realistic about what should happen.  Thanks for your feedback.

nfarris79
on 7/10/11 2:00 am - Germantown, MD
 OK, that's a new one. Are you missing molars on both sides? Can you chew things very well now as things are? I've only had one molar missing and had it replaced with an implant - they can be very expensive and replacement is a process, especially if you've had deterioration in the jawbone. I had to have months of recovery with the implant and some creative chewing in that process but $5K later chew very well now....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

bomoni727
on 7/10/11 2:10 am - MN
 Yes, I am missing molars on both sides.  I do chew very well because of them missing to make sure that I am practicing chewing longer in anticipation of surgery.  I would not be seeking implants for the reason that you stated that it can be a lengthy process.  A partial would work.  I just don't have money for that right now, and even with a partial it's going to be very expensive.  I realize that good dental hygeine is very important.  I get that.  He just in my view needs to be a little bit flexible with this and right now he is not willing to be flexible.  Wish I had known this before I picked him.
Tammy R.
on 7/10/11 2:17 am - Covina, CA

Can you ask for a second opinion from another surgeon? If you get a different doctor to go along with you your insurance might let you choose that doctor instead without starting the entire process over.

lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

bomoni727
on 7/10/11 2:45 am - MN
 aanmarie, can you tell me more about this flipper.  Not sure I know what that is.  thanks.
aanmarie
on 7/10/11 2:22 am - NY
Hello
I have alot of trouble with my teeth too.In all honesty I can see his point.You really need to be able to chew.Perhaps you can get a temporary flipper for the time being.Its not the best option but it may be acceptable to him.They range from $350-$400.I know it's alot of $, but it may get you bye and only take a few days to make.You can use it for years.However try and see his point.If you can't chew properly you will be puking.Best of luck either way.
Bettisima
on 7/10/11 2:32 am
I can see a couple points to this ine, so forgive me if I sound like I am taking both sides.

I have read, that many wish they had cared for their dental issues prior to surgery, because the reduced nutrition of the early months only made a bad mouth/ tooth issue worse. what might have seen like a small issue prior to surgery was a significant issue 3 months or more post op.

With that said, this is the first I have heard that a surgeon will not perform the surgery until dental work is completed. Do you have the option to choose another surgeon who accepts your insurance? You would not be the first person who after spending time with a surgeon or his staff, that decides this isn't right for me, and found a new set of questions to ask a potential surgeon.

One more thing I want to put out there. I understand insurance still leaves a lot to pay out of pocket in most cases, but also consider all of the supplements you will need after surgery. Protein powders, shakes, vitamins, and mineral supplements. These are not cheap, and you have to make sure you can and will continue to care for yourself, giving your body all that it needs. The illnesses that can come from malnutrition are as serious, if not more so than obesity related co-morbidities.

I really do understand the emotion of, I have finally made the decision want WLS, and I have been agonizing over it for x amount of time. The anger and frustration of dealing with surgeons requirements as well as insurance requirements. When darn it, I have made up my mind. But it is something you can work through.

I wish you many blessings on your journey.
turningpoint
on 7/10/11 3:26 am
unfortunately your surgeon is the one who must decide if you are fit for surgery in everyway.  If he believes your teeth are an issue that must be taken care of before surgery, then other than switching surgeons, I see no other way around it.  If he won't budge, then he won't budge.  You will just have to accept that fact and either get the dental work done or pass on the surgery or find a new surgeon.  Lots of folks travel long distances to go to another surgeon. 

Financially, you can look into Care Credit for the money needed for the dental and WLS surgery out of pocket costs, but keep in mind, longterm aftercare of WLS can be expensive...vitamins, supplements, frequent lab work that may or may not be covered by ins, and the cost of good quality, healty food (ie no more cheap fast food). 
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
eliana
on 7/10/11 3:45 am
 Don't take shortcuts with your health. Get a loan, whatever and get the dental work done. He has good reasons for wanting you in tip top health before you embark on this major transformation.

15 lbs lost prior to surgery. 260 HW/ 245 SW/ 160 Current/ 130 Goal!        
FleurDeLis
on 7/10/11 7:03 am
How far are you from the nearest dental school? They all have low cost dental clinics.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 211 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 478 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 397 views
Recent Topics