I need a new hobby

LizShort
on 7/9/11 11:46 pm - NC
 For the last 15 years, my hobby has been food.  I cook, I brag and I show off food.  I was in an abusive marriage and the only think that was left, no matter how hard my x tried to tell me differently, was my ability to cook something amazing simply from smell.

Well, now I need something other than food to occupy my mind.  I'm open to all ideas and will try them all at least once unless it means jumping off a bridge tied to a rubber band 

A little about me I guess....  I am an unemployed teacher (just got laid off in a time of teacher glut).  I have 5 undergrad degrees and 1 masters.  I've considered getting my doctorate, but I don't know what it and I'm already overwhelmed with student loans.  I love animals and I have a golden (my avitar) who I have trained as far as he can go so far.  (sit, stay, touch, heel, down, recall, leave it, find it, target, moo, whisper, high five, wait, and I can't remember what else his brain is stuffed atm)  I walk 20 mins every morning with him as well.  Other than that, I have the computer.  

So.... suggest away!!!!  I'm excited to hear from you all!!!

jkjstars123
on 7/9/11 11:56 pm, edited 7/9/11 11:56 pm - Tama, IA
How about volunteering at some places. Not sure if you can have a flower garden. How about reading? How about jig saw puzzles? Some kind of active hobbies are best for us.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

virvin
on 7/10/11 12:19 am - CO
You have the perfect hobby waiting right beside you.  There are so many clubs and things to do with your golden.  Check your community for things like:  flyball, agility, disc.  Goldens are usually smart...what about becoming certified to have him certified as a therapy dog? 

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

lynnc99
on 7/10/11 6:28 am
I was going to suggest training as a therapy dog too!
shannon0731
on 7/10/11 12:24 am - LA
Well, you could come up with some really good recipes for post WLS! I have looked at two cookbooks of such and the recipes are kinda nasty looking! Especially if you are from the south!!

Sorry to hear about the job loss. My daughter in law in TX was lucky to make the cut, but several of her friends were not. What did you teach? What age? Could you volunteer at a library to offer some kind of class in your area?

that puppy is adorable! what about volunteering at an animal shelter? Or seeing if your community could use some dog obedience training classes-our recreation department used to do those.

Is there something you did as a kid that maybe you could do again as an adult? If you took dancing or music lessons, some places offer these classes for adults.

Is there something the X always told you that you couldn't do? (mine was famous for that!) Pick one and try it!

Are you a techie type person? Ever try geo-caching? You get yourself a hand held GPS. You go to this site called geo cache. It tells you about actual sites where things are hidden,. Using the GPS, you find them. There are also virtual ones where you find something and answer the question they have. You can do it around your town and find out lots of things plus get some exercise.

Hope this helps!!
Shannon
I'm Ready!

siberiancat
on 7/10/11 2:31 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I started my 3rd masters at 50 yrs old.  I became a pastor.  I only work 3 days a week doing pastoral congregational care - mostly sick folks, funerals and counseling.

I started knitting about 7 yrs ago.  Took classes at local yarn stores and became obsessed!  It keeps my hands busy - really relaxes me.   I listen to podcasts or audio books (can even read on the Nook) while I'm knitting.  I love to multitask.

I knit for others, for charity, family and mostly for myself.

I'm empty nester.  Hubby and I don't like the same TV shows, but I set in family room and knit while I read.

Food just doesn't interest me and I've lost my desire to cook - especially when I can't eat much or the food doesn't sit well.  I also don't like making lower calorie/fat versions of my "old favorites" that got me morbidly obese in the first place.  It messes with my head eating lower sugar/calorie versions of white sugar/white flour foods.  I've learned to do without them and eat fresh veggies and fresh fruit instead.

Best wishes on your search.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Mama-Z
on 7/10/11 2:32 am
How about making jewelry!  I took a bead class a while back and it was fun.  I love designing my own stuff.  Although I really do this more in the winter when I can't get out and DO dtuff.  I'd rather be active.  Geocaching is a blast and good exercise too! Plus you can take your pooch too! So you both benefit. 

allvalerie
on 7/10/11 2:49 am - Seward, AK
I volunteer for Alaska Dog and Puppy Rescue- Shelters or rescue groups around you I'm sure could use your help!

Valerie
GastricKitty
on 7/10/11 3:27 am - VA
Volunteer at your local SPCA. That's what I do. Those poor animals need all the companionship they can get. I go once a week and bring some new toys with me when I come. I help walk the dogs and play with them in the runs. I brush them. I play with the cats and brush them too. I shred newspaper for them as needed and any other chores. It's fun, fulfilling, and meaningful. I am making a difference and it feels good.
NHPOD9
on 7/10/11 7:42 am
I can tell you what my new hobbies will be after surgery.

First, I'm going to train my golden (and compete) in Rally.  Have you heard of this?  It is a fun, more relaxed version of obedience with a little light agility (jumps and tunnel) thrown in.  I'm also going to get her certified as a therapy dog so that we can work at the local library reading to kids.

I'm going to hike the local mountains, all the way to the top.

I want to bicycle around the state and eventually bicycle across country. 

I am going to learn how to kayak.

I'd like to volunteer at a local stable, not because I am a horse lover, but because I know mucking stalls is hard work and I love the smell of barns. 

This winter I am going to repaint my house and plan/create raised garden beds for next summer.

I'm sure I'll add more to the list at some point.  Most of these goals are ones I've had for years and have never been fit enough to attempt, so I'm hopeful the surgery will allow me to meet most of them.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 524 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics