What are Micronutrients & Macronutrients

Kimberly129
on 7/12/11 11:58 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 12/02/10 with
I seen another post about malabsorbtion with these Micro/Macronutrients but I have no clue what that means.  How do you know what comes from what?  Can someone please explain this to me!! Oh and what is malabsordtion??
HW389 SW367 CW273 GW180 
1lb lost is 1 step closer to your g
oal !!

poet_kelly
on 7/12/11 12:42 pm - OH
Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals in our food.  Macronutrients are things like fat, calories and carbs in our food.

Malabsorption means not absorbing stuff well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bettisima
on 7/12/11 12:47 pm
Hi-jack.
Kelly, I like your new avi!!
Kimberly129
on 7/12/11 2:22 pm - Austin, TX
RNY on 12/02/10 with
On July 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:
Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals in our food.  Macronutrients are things like fat, calories and carbs in our food.

Malabsorption means not absorbing stuff well.
so that means we dont absorb things like fats carbs and calories??

but we do absorb our vitamins??

HW389 SW367 CW273 GW180 
1lb lost is 1 step closer to your g
oal !!

poet_kelly
on 7/12/11 2:26 pm - OH
No.

In the beginning, we don't absorb all of the fat and calories in our food because those things get absorbed in the small intestine and part of our small intestine has been bypassed.  We still absorb some of those things, though, because we still have part of our small intestine.

As time goes on, our body starts to adapt and we begin to grow more receptors in the part of our small intestine we still have to absorb fat and calories.  So that malabsorption goes away after a while and we start to absorb all of those macronutrients again.

We malabsorb vitamins forever, though.  That's because there are very specific parts of our small intestine where we can absorb different vitamins, and some of those spots get bypassed with this surgery.  Once they are bypassed, they are bypassed forever.  That's why we have to take so many vitamins for the rest of our life.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MarilynT
on 7/13/11 1:44 am
Very good explanation Kelly. I would add that some people, depending on the percentage of intestine bypassed and other factors, MAY continue to malabsorb some macro nutrients and calories, but it is not a given. I know for a fact that I still malabsorb fat....I can see it in the toilet in the morning!

Bottom line: after about 18 months, you better have developed some healthy eating and exercise habits because you will LIKELY start absorbing more calories. And you better take your vitamin and mineral supplements FOR LIFE.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 225 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?