Protein Absorption

dsousa
on 7/14/11 2:29 am
Hello,

I am almost four years post-op and I still have a protein shake usually every day.

I just recently started using 2 scoops of protein with approximately 12 ounces of milk because I like the depth of the flavor.

I am wondering however if I am being wasteful with my protein powder because I know we only absorb so much protein at a time.

Would it be better to add a SF flavored syrup for enhanced flavor?  What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dawn
Rose G.
on 7/14/11 2:53 am - AK
 I almost always use a SF syrup in mine just to mix up the flavors!!  But I'm fairly new to this but someone more exerienced then me mentioned that we can only process around 30g of protein at a time so I guess it depends on how much protein is in your shake mix to start with.  Some of my favorite combinations are to start with a chocolate base and add coconut syrup to make an almond joy, or a vanilla base, with a fruity flavor and a tbs of peanut butter to make a PB&J =) happy mixing.

paranoidmother21
on 7/14/11 3:12 am - Lake Zurich, IL
The latest work I've seen says that there is not an upper limit that we can absorb, but that we may be better off spreading it out throughout the day as there *may* be a limit to what we can effectively process at one time. It's a subtle difference.

Maybe one scoop with 6 oz of milk at a time?

Personally, I do one scoop with 4 oz of milk and SF syrups for each shake, but that's just what works for me.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

poet_kelly
on 7/14/11 3:16 am - OH
The ASMBS says it is NOT correct that we only absorb a certain amount of protein at a time.  That is popular myth, I don't know why, but it's not true.  So you are not being wasteful.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rose G.
on 7/14/11 7:08 am, edited 7/14/11 7:10 am - AK
 Where is that Kelly? I looked up http://www.asmbs.org/ and could not find any reference to protein absorbtion.  Although I don't have time to read all the articles posted - I read a few that seemed like they might contain relevent info, I didn't find it.

poet_kelly
on 7/14/11 7:16 am - OH
Page S96 of this document: http://www.asbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf.  About halfway down on the left column.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pam211
on 7/14/11 4:19 am - Lexington-Fayette, KY

I've heard both sides, anything over 25 mg is a waste; and it's a myth.....I personally feel it's best to erre on the side of caution....just in case it is true.  I use AES Protein from Sam's and I put milk and SF chocolate syrup that I get from Walmart in the section where the chocolate milk mixes are.  Hershey's or the Great Value brand, both taste fine and they serve the purpose. I also add ice and it tastes like a chocolate milk shake.....when I need something sweet, it's perfect!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 462 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views