Home from surgery, Creative ways to sleep with a sore tummy?

UH60Wife
on 7/14/11 11:40 am - KS
So I went in on July 12th and came out July 14th.   Every thing went awesomely and the staff that took care of me were especially awesome! But seriously I would Lovvveee to fine a comprotable way to sleep!  Any tip n Tricks out there?

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." Judy Garland

GastricKitty
on 7/14/11 11:49 am - VA
I'm a side sleeper and I still can't sleep on my side yet. When I first had surgery I had a million pillows behind me so that I was almost sitting. Then I had a pillow on each side. It felt more comfortable for some reason to compress my belly from the sides a little when I slept. I still do this, except lay back with one pillow now, but still use two side pillows. I can't last more than a minute on my sides comfortably yet. I can't wait until I do. I find an eye mask helps calm me and keeps me from stressing about how I'm sleeping.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/11 11:57 am - OH
I have had several open surgeries as well as a couple of lap surgeries and each time was most comfortable sleeping in a recliner until I could sleep comfortably in bed.  (After my open RNY, even laying flat on my back hurt... I had to sleep with my head and shoulders elevated so my belly would not be stretched out.)  If you don;t ahve a recliner, you can sometimes use pillows to prop yourself up in a similar position on the couch.

Lora 

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Proudtobaloser
on 7/14/11 12:00 pm - Fayetteville, NC
I am worried abotu this one post op. We do not have a recliner persay but we do have one of those couches with relincing ends. There is an armrest on one side then the couch on the other. COuld I prop loads of pillows up there and do it that way and still be somewhat comfy?  Sorry I hijacked this..... :(

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Amy T.
on 7/14/11 12:31 pm - CA
I had surgery on 6/10,  and for about 3-4 weeks,  I found it comfortable to tuck a pillow under each side of me - it kind of wedged me in the bed,  and had a couple propped up behind me,  it was comfortable.  I am 5 weeks out tomorrow and just again started sleeping on my side.

Good luck. It will get better!
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

shellbell75
on 7/14/11 1:35 pm
I too tucked pillows all around me and slept sitting up the first night. At the end of week one I was sleeping on my side with a pillow tucked under my panni to take some of the pressure off.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Proudtobaloser
on 7/14/11 2:55 pm - Fayetteville, NC
Do they allow heat or cold packs to help with the pain? again sorry if it seems i am hijacking.....

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Lindsey82
on 7/14/11 8:33 pm
I loved my pillows!!!

UH60Wife
on 7/14/11 8:35 pm - KS
Man... I am seriously thinking about going out and buying a recliner! lol I came up with a small fix though I went to sleep with about 10 pillows and 3 beanbags lol ! I also used a Heating pad thing for my tummy (ones of those lavnder ones you microwave)  and It definately helped... with gas I think lol I was Wakeing up my house last night -.- I felt better though cause I was starting to wonder if my bottom still worked LMAO 

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." Judy Garland

AmyCathleenRN
on 7/14/11 11:07 pm - VA
RNY on 06/13/11 with
I slept in a recliner for two weeks, my sweet husband carried it upstairs so we could at least be in the same room.  I am almost five weeks out and I am sleeping perfectly comfortable on my side and back.  Still not quite ready to sleep on my stomach but it gets better every day.  I also use a heating pad on my left side (it gave me the most trouble) at night.  If you don't have a recliner you can easily use pillows in bed and get the same effect.  Good luck! It does get better!!

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 50 replies · 573 views
Upper GI test
Melody P. · 8 replies · 116 views
12 Year Surgiversury
JB1114 · 3 replies · 74 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 54 replies · 611 views