Inform yourself about alcohol...

shesha81
on 7/17/11 1:09 am - Gardner, MA
I just wanted to put this information out there for people to have the information, if they were not already aware of it, to make their own educated decisions from. After all this discussion about alcohol this morning I just thought it was necessary. A couple of months ago this was actually the topic of my hospitals support group meeting there was a new study done that shows the further out from gastric by-pass surgery in particular the quicker and longer you will become intoxicated after drinking very little amounts of alcohol it has to do with an adaptive process our bodies do where the intestine attached to the distal end of the pouch actually thickens over time to try and "capture" more nutrients. This is where the alcohol is also absorbed so the thickening facilitates this. This is the link for the article if anyone would like to read it, it is from the JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS Feb 2011. http://www.journalacs.org/article/s1072-7515(10)01090-2/fulltext
Koko M.
on 7/17/11 1:42 am - Albany, CA
Ooo, fascinating...

I was just posting on another thread that I don't seem to feel the effects of alcohol any more strongly now than pre-op, but if what this article says is true, that may actually change the further our I get from surgery.

Very good to know, so that I don't make any sweeping assumptions about how well I will handle alcohol in another six months or year or three.
Thanks!

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

poet_kelly
on 7/17/11 2:14 am - OH
Thanks for posting this and especially for posting the link to the article.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jennifer P.
on 7/17/11 5:29 am - Lansing, KS
I'd like to throw in that it's been 8 years since my RNY and I used to be able to drink quite a bit before I'd be uhh drunk. Now, and I've noticed that it's just since this year, it only takes maybe two. Not drunk-drunk, mind you, but pretty darn buzzed.
waitinggame
on 7/17/11 7:29 am - Bowie, MD
This is really interesting. At almost 2-1/2 years out, I have definitely noticed I am more impacted by the alcohol I drink, especially if I drink quickly at all. Used to be drink, get drunk (or buzzed or whatever your  chosen euphemism is) and sober up just as quickly as the buzz came. Not so anymore. I feel like I stay intoxicted much longer now. Granted, I do notice the sensation of sobering up more than before surgery, but definitely not as quickly as it used to be.

Thanks for sharing!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 260 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?