So sick of protein shakes drinks and powders

Tammy R.
on 7/16/11 4:28 am - Covina, CA
I'm almost a month out and on the pureed diet. I'm trying to get 80g of protein in but even the thought of another protein supplement turns my stomach.
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

poet_kelly
on 7/16/11 4:52 am - OH
Well, it's really, really important to get your protein in.  You can get as much as possible from food, but if you can't get it all in that way, you're stuck with supplements.  Have you tried making your shakes different ways or putting protein powder in your food?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tammy R.
on 7/17/11 2:04 am - Covina, CA
How do I add it to my food without making it taste nasty. If you were thinking soup I only like tomato and french onion. What kind of protein? Since I cant eat a lot right now its hard to get it in the food I eat (mainly cottage cheese and yogurt, I was able to eat a little fish).

poet_kelly
on 7/17/11 2:10 am - OH
When I put protein powder in my food, I use unflavored and just add a little bit.  If you measure out one scoop and put it in a bowl on your kitchen counter and then add a little bit to everything you can that you eat all day, by the end of the day you can have gotten a whole other scoop.  But I sure wouldn't put a whole scoop in my soup or anything.

You can add protein powder to things like pudding, yogurt, anything pureed that you eat, I put some in chili, stuff like that.  If you want to put it in soup, it usually works better if you mix the protein powder in a little bit of room temperature water (or a little bit of the soup, before you heat it).  It'll make a paste.   Then stir that into the hot soup.  That keeps it from making nasty clumps in your soup.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tammy R.
on 7/17/11 2:28 am - Covina, CA

I like the idea of having a scoop and adding a little at a time. I need to get  some puddings, that sounds good. Do you make them or buy prepackaged servings?

poet_kelly
on 7/17/11 2:35 am - OH
I buy the prepackaged kind because I am lazy.

Vanilla protein powder would work fine for some things, I think, like yogurt or pudding.  But I wouldn't want to add something vanilla flavored to tomato soup, you know?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/17/11 2:42 am - OH
Even the Any Whey unflavored, which has a slightly sweet flavor to it, is gross in tomato soup... I know THAT from experience!  That's why I stick to the Unjury.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tammy R.
on 7/17/11 2:30 am - Covina, CA
oh sorry, forgot to ask what kind of unflavored, will vanilla do?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/17/11 2:45 am - OH
Vanilla has a sweet, vanilla taste whereas unflavored generally has very little taste (although I found the Any Whey unflavored to be slightly sweet (and therefore really gross in tomato or other soups)).  For adding to sweet items, though, the vanilal would be fine.

Have you tried the Unjury chicken soup protein powder?  It is quite tasty and is a very nice break from all the sweet powders!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tammy R.
on 7/17/11 4:04 am - Covina, CA

Yes, I tried it years ago. Wasn't that impressed but my tastes buds have changed so much it might be better now.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views