Possibly weird dumping question

Shellbatronic
on 7/22/11 5:22 am - NC
(Not dumping right now myself, but came up in conversation and I just don't know the answer).

If you eat something and have done the no drinking before-or-during thing, and then you dump like right after you eat, do you still need to wait the prescribed amount of time before drinking again?

Laura A.
on 7/22/11 5:38 am - Manteca, CA
Not sure if I'm understanding your question....

Are you asking should you wait 30 minutes after dumping to drink???  I would say no....the rule is for eating only. 

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

Shellbatronic
on 7/22/11 5:40 am - NC
Yes, that's what I was asking.. wasn't sure if the eating that caused the dumping still "counted" as eating so far as that rule goes.

Thanks!

Laura A.
on 7/22/11 5:48 am - Manteca, CA
I go by the adage that all food in 'counts'...how my body reacts to it is another story...

I am a dumper....with several things: fat, sugar, carbs....  So like if I have something with too much fat that causes diarrhea, I still 'count' that I ate it.....  it just was eliminated more quickly than something else....

Is this what you mean???

sonnieN
on 7/22/11 5:42 am - grand rapids, MI
Personally for me I don't think I'm up for drinking when I dump or immediately after. I'm curled up in a ball or passed out sleeping for well over a half hour. However if you think tha****er would help you get thru the episode I'd say go ahead and drink. This is an exception to the normal rule and when dumping you'll do anything to help make yourself feel better as soon as possible.
poet_kelly
on 7/22/11 5:43 am - OH
Yeah, unless you feel certain you threw up ALL the food you'd eaten.  But people don't always threw up when they dump.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

laura_vermont
on 7/22/11 5:43 am, edited 7/22/11 5:44 am
I think you are confusing vomitting and dumping. 

Some symptoms of dumping syndrome include:
  • nausea or queasiness
  • a sense of fullness accompanied by discomfort
  • cramping
  • diarrhea
  • general weakness
  • profuse sweating
  • vomiting
  • heart palpitations (an increase in heart rate)

Eating & drinking rules would still apply -- I dump, I don't vomit.  I've never vomitted since surgery, so I don't know about rules re: the eating/drinking  & vomitting.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Shellbatronic
on 7/22/11 5:54 am - NC
Ooh, maybe you're right. I was specifically thinking of vomiting, I guess I didn't realize they could be mutually exclusive (thankfully, I guess, not having had a real 'dumping' episode yet.)

Thanks!

Laura A.
on 7/22/11 6:26 am - Manteca, CA
Oh, now I'm getting it....  yes, vomiting and dumping are different..

Thanks everyone....

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?