Problems with water

KatCooper
on 7/22/11 9:57 am - Collierville, TN
 This is going to sound wierd, but here it goes:   I can eat food and everthing is fine, i can drink smoothies and everything is fine BUT when I drink water, I have excessive burping and gurgling ( I dont know what else to call it, its a noise in my throat).   It so bad that my co-workers have noticed it.  Has this happened to anyone?  It is very frustrating and i am not getting my water in.  I was dehydrated last night and had to have IV fluids.     I have put in a call to my surgery group but was curious to see if I was the only one who has experienced it.    And I have tried cold water and room temp water and it is the same.  Hot drinks go down fine.
Thanks in advance, 
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Dave Chambers
on 7/22/11 10:03 am - Mira Loma, CA
Water can be an issue, but it's usually just trouble getting enough or a temperature issue. it sounds like maybe you may be using a straw. Or you may be taking is too much air when you drink your water.  Take sips from a glass or water bottle, 1-2 oz at a time.  Dehydration can be an issue for a good percentage of post ops. Even my wife had to go back to the hospital.  I now make her snowcones from an inexpesive Rival kiddie snowcone maker.  Only $20, and you can eat this type of hydration with a spoon, with SF flavorings.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

KatCooper
on 7/22/11 10:10 am - Collierville, TN
 Thanks, for your response, Dave!  Nope not using a straw.  I think I am taking baby sips.  i may go back to using the 2 oz tiny cups they sent home from the hospital.  I am just really frustrated!!  I may look into the snow cone machine though, sounds like a great treat!

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

Ale L.
on 7/24/11 10:21 am
RNY on 03/08/11 with
 i had the same issue...i know people are told not to use a straw,  but for me it was the opposite.  i was taking in too much air and tired with a straw and problem solved.  i talked to my team about it and they said if it works for me then using a straw is perfectly fine.  you may want to try it, at this point all it can do is help, i can't imagine it makeing it worse.

curious3069
on 7/24/11 10:25 am - Newton, IL
I had the same problem early out (My family calls them The Gurgles) and a straw helped with it tremendously.   It was the first rule I broke!!!     It's much much better now, but still happens every once in awhile.     

I wonder if a water bottle with a sports top would cut down on air too??

hopiej
on 7/22/11 10:59 am - fort knox, KY
I have not had surgery yet, date is scheduled for Aug 26th, but I have the snow cone maker!! My son wanted 1 this summer and we picked up one and love it just for the ice! We use it daily! He will drink more water now, because he wants to use the snow cone maker so much...I say well you have to use water, not the flavors..lol Its awesome and I know it will come in handy after I have surgery too! I think that's a great idea!!
seashell6417
on 7/22/11 11:24 am - Gaylord, MN
I am over two years out and still have issues with water.  It always goes down well if I add a packet of Crystal Light, squeeze a lemon or lime wedge in it, etc.  Not sure why but plain water just doesn't agree w/ me most of the time. 
Tami

Dot T.
on 7/22/11 1:18 pm - Bartlesville, OK
I have trouble with plain water to this day (almost 3 years out), but I agree that when something is added to it, it goes down easier! 

I read something a long time ago about the molecular make-up and the add-ins change it up just enough that it sits well.  I'm not a chemist or scientist, so I don't really know about that, but I do know that it does better if I have a little lemon, crystal light, or something similar in my water.

Hope this helps!
Dot
Des102be
on 7/23/11 8:10 am
I have the same problem. I have had some relief when I take a little larger sip. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but it works for me. I only drink room temp water and get the same "noises."

Good luck,
KatCooper
on 7/24/11 12:10 pm - Collierville, TN
 Well I tried using crystal light and taking bigger sips and it seems to be working!  Whooray, no more excessive burping and noises!  Just the normal burps!
Thanks so much for all of your advice!!
Kat

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 551 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 535 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 333 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 132 views