"bad" weekend, but, easily back on track

gochristy1971
on 7/25/11 12:29 am - CA
So, I went camping with some friends this past weekend.  I ate terribly.  Ok, well, not as terribly as I would have pre-surgery, but,  for post-op, it was bad.  I am not a dumper.  I ate way too much sugary/carby/non-protein type junk.  I was not able to eat a lot at one sitting, due to the restriction I still have (thank goodness), and after doing so, I didn't feel great.  I didn't get sick, per se, but I didn't feel "right".  We were very active with hiking and swimming and just chasing after the kids, which was helpful.  Upon arriving home, I found my weight has stayed the same.  I was sure I would gain.  This morning, I am down a pound.  I found it refreshing to get back to my healthful eating.  I did not find it hard to give up the sugar/carbs/non-protein way I had eaten during the weekend.  What I learned was that I don't crave the old way of eating; I crave the "normalcy" that I see everyone else having, if that makes sense.  I just wanted to eat "normal" for the weekend.  I think I did so...and I think it's ok.  It's not something that derailed me for the long term, and I learned that it's ok to have a "treat".  I didn't know how I would react after having the old "normal"...and then coming back to my "new normal".

I hope this post makes sense...I feel that I had an NSV, by being able to have this type of weekend, and then having a fairly easy time of getting back on track.
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Jacobsmama08
on 7/25/11 12:43 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Hi Christy! I know exactly how you're feeling... I had my first weekend of 'bad' myself, this past weekend... Went up to Napa without my 3 yr old and did some drinking... which was the first I experimented with drinking since surgery... And , like you, I don't dump, so far, on anything... apparently including drinking. I found some 'Slim Bob and Skinny Chick's' mixers at Bev Mo (15 Cal and 5 Carbs, per serving, yay!) and with some Vodka, had a couple ****tails on Friday night with no adverse reactions, so Saturday we did a little wine tasting, and a little champagne with dinner, on the 'Wine Train'. I did a lot of 'grazing' as well, and same as you, can't get a lot in at one time, but probably ate some stuff I shouldn't have. Sat night I was uncomfortable,after 4 courses, and even only taking a few bites of each, I had to pack the main course to go. Sunday I was back to my regular regime... I kept the water going all weekend, and started both days with a protein shake, so I didn't go completely crazy... But I was sure I'd gained... I got on the scale and actually lost, but very little. So I guess, for me, goes to show, I can go a little crazy, once in a while, cuz even crazy for me, now, is no where near what crazy for me a year ago. But, like you said, it's nice to get back to 'normalcy'.

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

gochristy1971
on 7/25/11 12:47 am - CA
I'm glad someone "got" what I was saying!  I am just happy that I can be "normal" sometimes without ruining my surgery tool!  Also, I now know that I am building life-long habits that will help me be successful, since I was able to be a little lax, but then got right back to the good habits I have been building.  And it was not hard to do...I don't want the crap I ate over the weekend now...I just wanted it then...

Welcome to life, right?  lol
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Jacobsmama08
on 7/25/11 1:03 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Exactly.

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

CarolBeth
on 7/25/11 1:46 am - SoCal, CA
I completely get it, and I was/am hoping that's EXACTLY how gastric bypass will work for me.  I'm not as far out as you are, but have a camping trip planned in a couple of months.  I have been hoping I can just eat what everyone else is eating (in smaller portions), throw in a protein shake for breakfast, and just have a good time.  THEN...get right back on with that "new normal" when I get back.  There will be LOTS of physical activity, and I'm thinking eating just a little differently might even give a positive jolt to my metabolism.

Congrats on getting right back on track.  In the past, that's always been a hard one for me.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views