Sushi, Anyone?

dancandie
on 7/25/11 11:37 am - NC
When can you have sushi after surgery?  Minus the rice and stuff. 

h_squared
on 7/25/11 12:54 pm - IN
I eat sushi.  Rice and all.  I just take it R-E-A-L S-L-O-W.  If I eat more than 7 pieces (the roll I typically get is small and had 8 total), then I'm asking for trouble.  But I have NO problem with sushi.  (I was 9 months out before I ate it though) 
~Heather

www.facebook.com/hphsquared

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.  -Anonymous

hlacy
on 7/25/11 1:15 pm - Chandler, AZ
I read on here often a lot of people enjoy sushi after surgery. Many focus on sashimi, and rolls without rice, but many say they can have regular rolls, just a few pieces.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 7/25/11 1:25 pm - Belleville, IL
You can try the SASHIMI (Raw fish without the rice) as soon as you are cleared for SOLID FOODS (at least 5-10 weeks post op)....Honestly, I would wait until at LEAST 3-4 months out before I dared to try any sushi rolls or white rice, only because we NEED as much protein as possible and you will get a lot more from the sashimi than sushi (no protein in rice! Just empty POUCH filler)

Warmly,
Jackie

sherylbrown
on 7/25/11 1:46 pm - MN
I started eating sushi at 2 months an no problems. Delicious.
Sheryl    
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 12:55 am - TX
I had sushi at seven weeks out. I started with the sashimi variety. Tuna is my favorite! And it is SO high in protein. You can do the hand rolls stuffed with your favorite and skip the rice. There is a sushi restaurant here that will make any roll for you WITHOUT rice, and wrap it in cucumber.

I started having regular sushi at 12 weeks, I just would take the majority of the rice off. If I have a spicy tuna roll and eat half of it, with the miso soup with tofu, I can get in 43 grams of protein in one meal.

You do have to be careful on the calories. I don't do any of the fried rolls or the ones with mayo and eel sauce and all that gunk on them.
Koko M.
on 7/26/11 2:06 am - Albany, CA
Sashimi is a gold mine for WLS post-ops. Very high protein, I personally find that it digests without a murmur, most have very low carbs, and, depending on which fish you choose, very low fat. Some, (I'm thinking of salmon in particular) are fattier than others, but most are not only safe choices, but nutritionally very good choices.

(Ok, now I'm thinking about sashimi for lunch..   )

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

ktharp89
on 7/26/11 2:07 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 Harris teeter has riceless sushi. I think I am going to get that today.
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 7/26/11 2:28 am - Belleville, IL
Buy your own and make it. Since I have sushi/sashimi salad everyday I think I probably save 300-400$ per month and can make mine EXACTLY how I want... It is so very easy!

You can buy the salmon and tuna (yellow fin) fillets at your local store. If not previously frozen, make SURE to freeze the filets for 24/48 hrs. That kills ANY parasites! You can buy the sushi rice at 99% of grocery stores. (Most sell the Nori and Rice Vinegar and seasonings as well.) Buy the avocado from your produce department.

Fish that are safe to eat "raw": Salmon (go for a nice MARBLED filet from the seafood section...Try and avoid those frozen forever filets...Yuck! It must be marbled!) Toro, Yellow fin or Blue Fin Tuna.

"White Tuna" also known as Escolar...Be AWARE to make sure you slice this very thin and do NOT eat to much or your intestines and gut will regret it! But it is delicious and I never have any problem.

Unagi is cooked eel and is awesomely delicious! It's precooked and preseasoned...Buy it at ANY Oriental type market. You can get your Masago (fish eggs) there as well.

You can make your lunch that day or pre slice it up and put it in a bento box and take it to work.
If you want to make the hand rolls, they sell those little bamboo mats and you can go on YouTube and learn how to Roll a Sushi roll (It took me all of 2 tries and 5 minutes to master it...It's very easy.)

There is no great "magic" to sushi-sashimi. No "special grade" of fish (Sushi grade is just a term meant it has been frozen to kill parasites and has good fat marbling.)

Enjoy that Sushi!
Warmly,
Jackie

jillbhappy
on 7/26/11 2:56 am - Oceanside, CA
Yep... love it ..had it friday night
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?