Worried about my after care

Bralen
on 7/26/11 3:00 am
I had surgery in February. Since then I have been back to the surgeon's office twice. Once was 2 weeks post op for staple removal and once was 6 weeks post op. At my 6 week appointment they apparently misscheduled me for a lap band fill when I am an RNY patient. During that appointment the receptionist, intake nurse and nurse practitioner all had to be told that I had gastric bypass not a lap-band. Even then, the NP gave me a bunch of Lap-Band post op info and had to be reminded AGAIN that I had RNY.

When I left that appointment I was told to make an appointment in three months. I told the front desk what I needed and they gave me an appointment for another "fill" in 6 weeks! I corrected her and told her I needed an appointment in 3 months. My appointment was for today so yesterday when I got a phone call to confirm my appointment, I asked what they had me coming in for. A FILL! I canceled my appointment and asked to have the surgeon call me before I would set up another appointment.

My question is, what kind of care should I be getting post-op. I'm afraid that they have missed something since they think I have a Lap-Band. My PCP had blood work done around the two month mark but I haven't had anything since then. I'm now 5 months post op. Should I just start seeing my PCP for all of my post-op care?
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
DisneyLover
on 7/26/11 3:11 am - WI
I would be worried too.  Don't they look at your chart?
My surgeons nurse is a former patient.  That is one of the reasons why I love going there.  She knows where we are at as patients.

Sarah

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/26/11 3:13 am - Windsor, Canada
Right now, unless you have problems, there is not really a need to see the surgeon. His job is done.  What you need is access to the team - most importantly, a dietician.  Do you have a dietician or nutritionist to have access too? 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

HogRider
on 7/26/11 3:41 am - Jacksonville, FL
 Personnally if I had a surgeon and his support staff continously getting my information wrong like you have, I would have a "come to Jesus" meeting with them.  Tell them to get it right or find other health care providers.   To many examples of doctors operating on wrong parts, wrong dosages, botched procedures to take any chances.   
aseg21
on 7/26/11 3:41 am - Miami, FL
Wow.. that's really awful! At this point, there is nothing you need to see your surgeon for. At 6 months, you'd want to have a bunch of bloodwork done but I've seen many posts on here revealing what tests you'd need done. Your PCP can easily interpret those, though I took mine to my nutritionist as well.

Your surgeon may or may not really have a role in your care at this point for you. Mine doesn't, but I knew when I chose him that he was an incredible surgeon and that was it. I knew I could find lots of qualified incredible people who could help me post-op but needed a great surgeon and team to get me off the table and back home.

Good luck!!

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

Jenny_D
on 7/26/11 5:00 am - Canton, GA
 With everything on computers these days, it's quite possible that someone checked the "lapband" box on your records instead of the "RNY" box. And even though you keep sorrecting them verbally, no one wants to take responsibility for changing a patient's medical records.  It probably won't be corrected unless you do talk to the surgeon directly.

Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Pholaris
on 7/26/11 5:12 am
Looks like your Surgeon's Office needs to get their act together. I would write a formal complaint.

My surgeon requires follow-up visits as follows:

2 Weeks Post Op
1 Month Post Op
3 Months Post Op
6 Months Post op
9 Months Post Op
12 Months Post Op
18 Months Post Op
24 Months Post Op
Yearly After that unless there are any complications etc.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Bralen
on 7/26/11 8:45 am
Thank you for your replies. I've not had any complications at all and I see my PCP every other month anyway. My daughter told me I should get an x ray just to be sure the mistake was made after surgery and not before. LoL.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
allvalerie
on 7/26/11 9:56 am - Seward, AK
I've done all my post op care with my PCP-

Valerie
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views