What do you eat before and after a workout?

tcunningham
on 7/27/11 2:55 am - Bay Minette, AL
I ask because I have been feeling dizzy or lightheaded after my workouts.  I don't eat enough so I am tring to get that under control.  On Mondays and Wenesdays I do zumba and on the other days I get to the gym I do the treadmill and elliptical and try to get in some strength training.  So what are some good go to pre and post workout meals.  Thanks for the input.

Timeka

Amanda H.
on 7/27/11 2:59 am - Indianapolis, IN

One of my best friends, who is a personal trainer, says to drink a protein shake after your workout to help repair your muscles. 

msromagnola
on 7/27/11 3:38 am
I usually have a snack from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours before I go the gym.  I eat a variety of stuff - fruit, peanut butter and crackers, nuts, protein bars.  I sometimes do a protein shake after the gym because I heard it was good to do so - but sometimes it ruins my supper - or I don't want to eat until late when the family wants to eat earlier.

MSROMAGNOLA
Paul C.
on 7/27/11 3:51 am - Cumming, GA

Both an easy and difficult question.

If you are doing cardio and weights then you may need some of the dreaded carbs before you workout.  Face it carbs are a fast fuel for your body it can be just a few and something you can workup to until you find your happy point.

Post workout well that isa bit harder as it can depend on the intensity of your workout.  When doing weights rule of thumb is Protein within 45minutes of working out, doing intense cardio well that may require some of those dreaded carbs along with protein, and it doesn't have to be much something as simple as half a banana and a bit of protein can get you started to recovery.

A bigger concern should be your hydration. If you are doing mild to intense cardio you risk dehydration, so how much fluids are you taking in during your workout?  I know I can easily do 60+ oz in my 2 hours at the gym and still have mild dehydration.

When you do your weights remember to alternate muscle groups to give your body time to repair, if you do full body workouts then you need to take a day between them.  Working the same muscle group back to back will prevent the body from fully repairing and building new muscle so make sure you give your body time to recover.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Proudtobaloser
on 7/27/11 6:07 am - Fayetteville, NC
you need to hydrate BEFORE, during and after. Face it would you make a 500 mile trip in a 1/2 a tank of gas and have NOTHING to fill it up if you run out? It is the same concept.

The dizzy and lightheaded feeling could be attributed to you not being hydrated enough BEFORE your workout. I had the same issues several months ago and a trainer friend told me what I just told you. BEFORE, DURING , and AFTER hydration.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

LJ1972
on 7/27/11 2:06 pm - FL
Ditto on the hydration.
   Also,  I am pre-op but my NUT suggested I drink at least a 4oz protein shake a little before working out, and then have a small protein snack - such as some high protein / high fiber cereal, a boiled egg, etc-  when I get home (I workout after work - around 130am). The small snack is because I generally go to bed within a couple of hours so I don't want anything heavy on my stomach
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 145 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?