Popcorn @ 1 month out

Kim M.
on 7/28/11 5:05 am - NC
I want to ask is it ok to eat popcorn this soon out? I just tried some and it seems to be ok. Just wanted to read your thoughts on this
Kim    
nate2009
on 7/28/11 5:15 am - Lebanon, OH
I say no ..... to soon, focus on protein!
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/28/11 5:17 am - Baltimore, MD

In all things, you should ultimately refer to your surgeon’s plan.

I would say no also because of the lack of protein. Popcorn does have fiber but you have to eat a good deal of it to get significant fiber. It’s easy to eat way too much of it.

Stick with protein for now. I promise there will be a time in your life when popcorn makes a comeback!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

ktharp89
on 7/28/11 5:23 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 Since the surgery over 4 months out popcorn is the only thing I really crave. Which is weird because I never liked popcorn before surgery. It tastes SO good but it kinda is poofy in my stomach and doesn't feel really good. I wish stuff like that had protein.
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

mellasmomma0709
on 7/28/11 5:37 am - IL
I say NO also,its early...stick with the plan...do this thing right girl..rock it---dont eat what you shouldnt!!
Holly O.
on 7/28/11 6:15 am - FL
Sorry but my dr. and nutrionist said absolutely not!!!  Sorry, wish I could have some too but they said no!!
   Holly                                      
Mary Catherine
on 7/28/11 8:29 am
 Those little hard pieces can get caught in the stitches in your healing pouch and lead to infection.  Same reason not to eat things like strawberries and raspberries until you are about four months out.
Mia H.
on 7/28/11 9:14 am - OH
 I did not know that.  It's not on any of my paperwork.  I went to the movie twice last week and had some unbuttered popcorn.  I haven't had any adverse reactions to it, but I definitely will not do that again for a while.  Thanks Marycatherine for this info.  Same goes with the fruit, my NUT said I can have those at 2 months raw and have been blending frozen ones in protein smoothies.  I'll stay away from those right now too. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/28/11 12:27 pm - OH
The reason the fruit thing is not in your post-op eating paperwork is that there is apparently no evidence that this is a real danger... just some surgeons being extremely cautious.  The popcorn SHOULD, however, be in your book.  It was one of the items to be avoided until further down the line, but -- at 4 years out -- I don't remember exactly when (and I threw my book out long ago!).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mia H.
on 7/28/11 2:18 pm, edited 7/28/11 2:18 pm - OH
 I just went through my book, and it doesn't mention popcorn at all.  I'm going to mention it to  them when I go back for my next visit.  As for fruit, it only mentions to avoid fibrous ones (like pineapple) and no raw ones until 2-3 months out.  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 335 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics