Alcohol

Kimberly129
on 7/29/11 4:12 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 12/02/10 with
i enver really talked about this with my Dr b4 surgery, but i am wondering at what point can I start drinking again.  I do not drink a lot, but I like having a shot of tequila here and there and/or mixed drinks like a Pina Colada or something.  I have never been a heavy drinker but i do like to have a drink every now and then.  When did you have a drink and how did it effect you.  I know everyone is different and I cant expect someone elses reactiont o slcohol to be the same as mine, but info does help Thanks
HW389 SW367 CW273 GW180 
1lb lost is 1 step closer to your g
oal !!

Pholaris
on 7/29/11 4:15 am
My Doctor strongly recommends giving up alcohol for good, but says that if you must, not to until your weight has stabilized because of the toll that rapid weight loss has on the liver.

That said, while I am not going to sit here and preach about alcohol consumption, I will like to point out that many people experience transfer addiction post RNY and alcohol is a very common go to for it, so be very careful not to fall into this.

Eitherway, I would contact your Dr. and ask what their recomendation is.
Pregnancy%20ticker
curvaceousdiva
on 7/29/11 4:19 am - Hyattsville, MD
my bday was 3 weeks post op and I sipped some wine and was TOASTED... it hits u MUCH faster but also goes away much quicker as well. What I do now is 3/4 water to 1/8 liquor to 1/8 juice OR just 3/4 water to 1/4 liquor.

Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
wendybear1
on 7/29/11 4:52 am - Brooklyn, NY
Transfer addiction is a real threat. Be aware of that if you begin to experiment.

Not everyone suffers from it, but many of us do. It is very common. My surgeon didn't have a problem with wine, especially. He said a little was ok. Well, a little turned into more than a little for me VERY quickly.

hjb
on 7/29/11 5:24 am
i am wondering the same thing. i haven't had surgery yet but i'm younger (23) and i'm not going to lie, i do enjoy going out for drinks with my friends. obviously i would never want to jeopardize my surgery or mess things up by consuming alcohol, but at some point after surgery i would like to get out there and be with my friends and have a drink or two. i guess alcohol consumption is different for everyone after surgery, but i heard it's best to wait at least 3 months? also, the idea of addiction transfer to me is quite scary. i've never been the type to want to drink a lot...one hangover is all it takes and it's like "never again!" lol...but i've done a lot of reading on it and it is a very likely possibility for many people in our shoes. that would be the last thing i need.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 5:28 am - FL
My doctor said no more alcohol for at least a year and even then small amounts and only on occasion.  And nothing carbonated ever like beer, etc.  There was a study done by Duke a few years ago on patients at least  year after RNY surgery.  They found that virtually all RNY patients did the following:

1.  They absorb alcohol into their bloodstream over twice as fast and non-RNY people.
2.  They all had over the legal limit in their blood (over .08) with only 4 oz of wine.
3.  They all stayed drunk longer and for an average of over 2 hours.

Basically your a cheap date.  lol  It also has a lot of calories and in some people it causes an ulcer because it irritates the pouch.  I think it is better for all of us to give it up and find another vice.  lol
ShootersGal24
on 7/29/11 6:03 am - South St. Paul, MN
I have tried wine - and yes - you get HAMMERED quickly!  Also did a shot of Tequila at little over a year out - literally - less than a minute after the shot - DRUNK - seriously DRUNK!!!!  Other than that, follow what your doc says, and maybe try a small drink at home first as you may not like how it affects you!  Nothing worse than being out in public and dumping from it as well as being super intoxicated!  BUT - for me, 30 to 45 minutes later and SOBER as can be, although I KNOW I am not and NEVER drive - you are still legally drunk!

We all know the risks involved, be careful with it.  That is my opinion - never a big drinker before surgery, still not afterward, but enjoy a glass of wine with my guy - for sure!

Kelly

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Fm5C4/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2Fm5C4/weight.png">>

Amy R.
on 7/29/11 6:22 am, edited 7/28/11 6:25 pm
I was three months post op when I had my first glass of wine. I am an occasional drinker (maybe once every couple of months)and have not had a problem with anything so far (wine, mixed drinks, daquiris) but I would def suggest trying it at home first, unless you don't care if you make a fool of yourself in front of God and everyone.

Also NEVER, EVER, DRINK AND DRIVE POST-OP. Because of the way our bodies metabolize alcohol now, we can be and usually are over the legal limit hours after the buzz wears off. AND it generally takes much less alcohol to put you over the edge postop.

So enjoy, just be careful. Transfer addictions happen and of course you should be vigilant, but IMO that is not a reason for everyone to never drink again. You just need to make sure you watch for the signs, and stay in the "moderation" zone.

Of course, if you truly are worried about the transfer addiction factor, your mind may be trying to tell you something and you should definately listen and not indulge.

Best of luck to you as you continue your journey.=)

edited for spelling
NIXMOMMIE
on 7/29/11 6:42 am - NC
Please try at home.  I find that even 3 oz of wine over 30 min or so makes me VERY tired.  I have found Daily's daiquiries.  In the supermarket.  They are sooooooo good.  Just pop in the freezer and its ready.  If I buy one I can usually get 4 or 5 servings, so it last me a while.  I only use a 3oz cordial glass at home to have a little something every now and then.  Just be careful.

mdolan20
on 7/29/11 10:11 am - Brick, NJ
I too have had a drink here or there since surgery...it just wasn't the same for me. Just made me sooo tired.
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 450 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 410 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views