Heartburn?? Again??

Sara H.
on 7/29/11 11:46 pm - Champaign, IL
I'm 10 months out from RNY. I used to have horrible GERD but my RNY took care of that and I've been off of medication for about 8 months. I woke up this morning with wicked heartburn. I haven't had anything like this since before surgery so it really surprised me. I took some Tums but it still hasn't gone away. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery?? I did have a taco last night for dinner but usually I'd have heartburn last night...not wake up this morning with it. Any thoughts?

seashell6417
on 7/30/11 12:02 am - Gaylord, MN
Prilosec will probably help quite a bit.  If it continues or if you have other signs of an ulcer (dark stool, etc.) you might call your doc to be checked out.  I now have an ongoing Rx for omeprozole (generic Prilosec) that I take daily to help w/ the burning and have had no problems since I started taking it.
Tami

Dave Chambers
on 7/30/11 12:04 am - Mira Loma, CA
Maybe it was the tacos?  You say you haven't had GERD for 8 months, but had tacos last night.  Reactions can vary to some foods.  I suggest you see if the GERD continutes and you may have to take some meds on occasion.  Wt loss surgeries can cure a lot of issues, but some may return. I went off of my high bp meds post op.  At 8 months I began having dizzy and fainting issues. Test for months, and I ended up needing a pacemaker, as my issue was low bp. But my cardio doc wants me back on the same bp meds too , the ones I had for 15 years prior to my RNY. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/30/11 1:41 am
I only had GERD before RNI if I ate some foods.  My way of controling it - was to avoid that.
After RNY... and ulcers... now I am on daily prolisec.  And there are still days that I can feel the acid. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 772 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 384 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 504 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 256 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 278 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?