Having problems with soft diet HELP

lynni
on 7/29/11 9:50 am
 I was two weeks post op last monday and started phase 3 Soft Diet.  I'm wondering if I should be concerned.  Fluids go down okay, but 1 ounce of eggbeaters stays down but not by much.  Tried an ounce of tilapia came up with a vengence.  I squished it between my fingers to make sure I didn't eat a big piece.  Now today 3 hours after I ate small curd cottage cheese some of it came up with the water I had just drank.  Is this unusual should I go back to just fluids.  Thanks for your help

tashalpn2006
on 7/29/11 9:53 am - Fort Knox, KY
if it continues i'd call the surgeon, you may have a start to a stricture. that being said, how fast are you eating that small amount? i was told to take at least 30 min and nothing to drink for 30min after eating anything. mostly i got a "stuck" feeling then had to upheave to move it
SW/ CW/ Dr. GW/ My GW
279/ 160/ 170/ 150    

lynni
on 7/29/11 10:09 am

I don't feel like anything is stuck.  I would say it takes me about 20 minutes to eat.  I'll slow down see if that helps.  Thanks

CarolBeth
on 7/29/11 11:08 am - SoCal, CA
I had surgery the same day as you.  Cottage cheese, tuna salad, tilapia all go down well as long as I take small bites and remember to CHEW...even the little shreds of tuna.  The meat needs to be moist.  I did get some tuna stuck temporarily...OUCH...but nothing ever came back up.  You should probably call you doctor if everything is coming back up.  Could be starting a stricture.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Michael P.
on 7/29/11 11:20 am
Here are some tips that got me through this phase:

1. Take small bites (meat should be about the size of a pencil eraser).
2. Chew it at least 30 times or until its the consistancy of mush in your mouth.
3. Put your fork down between each bite to concentrate on your chewing.
4. Don't drink any liquid 30 mins before or after eating.
5. Practice Mindful Eating (pretty much 1-3 above).
6. If you feel full then stop.  Believe me you will be able to eat more with time but at this phase just eat until full and that's it.
7. Eat at your table (no TV or other things to distract you).

If you do these things your meal should last at least 30 - 45 minutes and I bet that you will find that you are able to tolerate it better.   Make sure that you are supplementing with protein shakes throughout the day to get your recommended protein.

Good luck and hope that you get through this phase without any more troubles. 

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
hisxmorticia
on 7/29/11 11:20 am - FL
i didnt try any meat or eggs til almost 4 weeks out. maybe youre just not ready yet? also after throwing up i tend to go back to liquids for a day or so to let my tummy settle. how soon after the cottage cheese did you drink? if i get something stuck & need to throw up i drink to make it come up, lol. GL
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views