My husband doesn't think I'm moving enough!!

Bkritty
on 7/30/11 1:06 am

I had my surgery June 27th. Prior to surgery I moved about as little as possible. As soon as I got clearance from my surgeon at my two week follow up I went and got a gym membership at a gym that offers all sorts of classes (yoga, kickboxing, spin, step aerobics, etc) AND a membership for the family to the Y so I could do water aerobics. That was almost three weeks ago. I have worked my way up to water aerobics 5 days a week. At first I had difficulty finding the motivation to get up and go to it but the last week and a half I have really been enjoying it. I have the rest of the summer off because I am a full time nursing student and classes don't start for another month. My husband came home from work yesterday and said he thought I need to be doing more since I am not working or in school. He brought up that I haven't used the other gym membership at all yet.

Part of me thinks hes right. I definitely have the time to do more than I am doing. On the other hand I got the memberships to both so I could try different things and find something that I like and will stick to and I happen to like Water Aerobics.

I should also mention I have a 7 year old son and a 3 year old son and a puppy that I have to take care of all day or find somewhere for them to be. (the gym does have a daycare). I also have a house to take care of during the day while he works.

I am planning on checking out some classes at the gym at some point but it may be easier when the kids are back at school and nursery school. Is water aerobics enough? Should I feel bad that I am not doing more? My husband is very supportive but he is also very active himself and has never had a weight problem a day in his life. Sometimes I think I should listen to him because he obviously is doing something right and other times I think he has no clue how hard this is for me.

Sorry for the vent...but I welcome opinions!

Bettisima
on 7/30/11 1:21 am
I think you are doing well. But I know surgeons plans vary. I wasnt allowed full exercise until 6 weeks out.

I have to wonder what is the bigger issue for your husband. That you aren't moving enough, or that there is a gym membership being paid for, that isn't being used.
Kristen M.
on 7/30/11 1:23 am - VA
 Don't feel that because your husband has never had a weight issue that has nothing to do with it because everyone is different. I will tell you what my surgeon/nut/dietician told me! They told me to find activities that you really enjoy & you have to enjoy the activity or you won't stick to it. They also told me tha****er aerobics is better for you than anything in a gym because it works out all parts of your body  & it is easiest on your joints/bones! once i get cleared for swimming this will be what i will be doing! 
What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
littlewitch1973
on 7/30/11 1:24 am - NY
 You are moving more now, than before surgery, right?

Could you do more, probably... but, I think its up to each person to do what they feel they need to do for their own success. I usually go to the gym 5 days a week... last week, I went twice - my car broke down for 2 days, and the last day, it was TOM for me, and I was exhausted - I knew I had no energy, and the gym would not have done me any good that day. 

When I am at the gym, I push myself - I started on the recumbent bike, moved up to the elliptical (which I really liked) and now do the ARC, which has moved me out of my last stall... I am pre-op, and know that doing these things will make me stronger for surgery. I also do strength training for arms, and my core (I have a very weak core) and alternate them every other day... I find myself excited by the fact that I can go further each day, and do more reps each time... that is my goal - get better over time... tracking those things makes me excited, and when I can look back and see the progress, I get excited. 

Be willing to try new things - maybe go to the other gym every other day - try new equipment, try a variety of exercises - you may find additional things you like and get the benefits of... the ARC is supposed to burn a lot of calories, and really works on the leg muscles, lol... 

I asked for help at my gym, and the girls there were great in helping me - they are personal trainers and were able to give me a plan that was unique to me and my needs - most gyms offer something like this for new people... Them having a daycare is awesome.. mine doesnt, and I have 3 kids (and 2 puppies!) but am squeezing in my "me" time, because I am worth it. I work full time, and go to college full time as well - finding the time is tough, but SO worth it! 

Good luck in your exercising!! 

Dave Chambers
on 7/30/11 1:34 am - Mira Loma, CA
You are losing wt and doing some form of exercise.  Many new post ops begin water aerobics for several reasons.  Ankle or knee joint issues, back issues, etc. are much easeir to deal with while exercising in water. You only weigh around 12 pounds in water.  Heavier people have more difficulty doing exercises in gyms or may be somewhat embarrassed.  I know some new post op members of my support groups say they start going to the gym late in the evening or real early in the morning.  This way there are less people there.  Feeling self conscious about wearing exercise gear and being overweight is their issue, and these hours avoid this problem.  Continue the exercises in the pool, try some walking too.  Once you've lost some more wt, then begin some gym routines.  Tell DH it takes time. Exercising too hard in the gym may be too difficult this recent post op.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Mia H.
on 7/30/11 1:34 am - OH
 I love water aerobics.  My gym does aqua zumba, which is so much fun.  I am almost 6 weeks out and just got cleared for the gym, so I think you're doing great.  I have an exercise physiologist at my surgery center.  He has me on 30 mins of walking/water aerobics for 5 days a week and arm strength/toning excercises for 15 mins 3 days a week.  So you are doing it 5 days a week, which is just fine.  I don't want to be harsh, but he doesn't have a clue as he has never had a weight problem, sorry.  Plus you just had major surgery and need to take it slow right now.  Too much can lead to injuries this soon out IMHO.

turningpoint
on 7/30/11 1:42 am
why not get  a sitter and use the 2nd gym for a night out with hubby? 

I am not one to waste, so either drop it or use it. 
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
Bkritty
on 7/30/11 1:51 am
Its not a financial issue at all. We got financial aid from our Y and because the Y is geared mostly towards kids programs where we live (except the water aerobics) they give you a three month membership to any local gym of your choice for $15 (thats $5 a month). My hubby won't go to the gym. He plays a mens soccer league, plays frisbee golf three days a week, kayaks, hikes, rafts, and has a very active job. At some point when I am strong enough we plan to enjoy a lot of this together.

I used to love yoga and I tried to go to yoga a few months before surgery and found my stomach was in the way of things! I have lost quite a bit since then so I think I may start out at the other gym checking out one of their yoga classes.

poet_kelly
on 7/30/11 2:03 am - OH
How much exercise does your surgeon recommend?  Mine said that by 30 weeks post op, I should be exercising for 30 minutes a day, every day.  But what does yours say?  Are you doing the amount of exercise your doc recommends?

If you're doing what your doc recommends, then I would tell your husband that and tell him that you appreciate his concern for you but that you have decided to follow your doc's recommendations and that what you'd really like him to do is support you, not give you exercise advice.

If you're not doing what your doc recommends, then I would think about why not and decide if you want to start doing what your doc recommends.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bkritty
on 7/30/11 2:44 am
My surgeon recommends 30 minutes a day at this stage. The 30 minutes can be averaged out any way you wan****er aerobics for 60 minutes 5 days a week definitely exceeds that recommendation. I can do any cardio I wish, but no lifting until my next follow up at 6 weeks out.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views