My surgery is being pushed back

meggy9
on 8/5/11 6:59 am - MN
RNY on 06/18/12
So I've been doing really well and was on track for my tenative surgery date in September. I lost the 10 pounds I needed to, have finished all but one of my nut requirements and am right on track with everything else. Had my pysch eval follow up today, he pushed my surgery back to December because of my anxiety and depression issues. I'm currently on medication and have been seeing my doctor regularly he thnks I should have no issue with having the surgery. So I'm setting up more counseling sessions so I can have enough of them done in order to have my December date not moved back any further. I just feel bad because I feel so ready and to be told that I'm not ready yet because my evals showed depression and anxiety symptoms is disapointing. But at the same time I know they are just looking out for my best interest.
adamsamah
on 8/5/11 7:41 am - Nixa, MO
You are so right - they are looking out for you. I will keep prayers coming that you will have improved symptoms and will be ready by December. Keep up the good work.
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

mandajolyn
on 8/5/11 8:04 am - Tallahassee, FL
I know its frustrating but you're right, they are looking out for you! This is a major life change and can affect us mentally in so many ways! My surgery was also pushed back because of my mental health issues. My surgeon wanted to make sure I was as stable as I could be and I was in the best frame of mind to take on post op life. He wanted to be sure I understood and could cope with the seriousness of this surgery and all the effort it requires on my part. I was mad but I knew he was making sure I was in a safe place and I was ok! This gives you time to work through the depression and anxiety and will help you be as ready mentally as you can be!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

poet_kelly
on 8/5/11 9:04 am - OH
I'm sorry.  That must be really disappointing.

Getting the anxiety and depression as well controlled as possible is a good thing, though.  A lot of people feel moody and depressed in the first few weeks after surgery.

Take advantage of this extra time to practice eating the way you'll be eating after surgery, like making sure to get plenty of protein and taking little bites and chewing really well and eating slowly and not drinking with meals, etc.  And use the time to learn all you can about the surgery.  I don't mean to suggest that you haven't already done your research and learned plenty.  There's just always more we can learn.

I hope the time goes by fast for you.  We'll save you a spot on the loser's bench.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 526 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 330 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 39 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?