What is your support group like?

Bkritty
on 8/7/11 1:08 am

I was just wondering what you all do at your support groups? We have tables arranged in a big open square and all the post ops and the nutritionist who facilitates the group sit at the table. Those attending their first orientation earlier in the day are required to come to at least one support group meeting before surgery so they all sit in chairs on the outside of the square and listen (along with any pre ops that decide to come to more than one). The support group lasts for two hours and we start off by going one at a time and tell our "story" or any issues we are having. After everyone is done the pre ops have an opportunity to ask any questions that they have. The group is held twice a month. Twice a year they have a clothing swap after the support group meeting and it is open to any pre op or post op patients. I was curious what other support groups offer? 

We also have a group once a month that is for Post op only and is a much smaller group and facilitated by a clinical psychologist. I have not been to it yet, but am going to check it out next week.

Kristie

DisneyLover
on 8/7/11 1:17 am - WI
Once a month we have support group.  The firs hour is a presentation of a topic that we suggest the year before and then the office staff books them.  We have had exercise, food ideas, this week is plastic surgery.  Then the last hour we break into groups according to where we are in relation to surgery.   Either pre or various post op groups.  4 times a year we have a clothing exchange.  I like the support group my surgeons office offers.

Sarah

Price S.
on 8/7/11 1:30 am - Mills River, NC
Our pre op and post op groups are different groups.  Pre-op is more of a training session.  Post-op is more support.  We also have groups for each diet phase and for each week of the 4 week pre-op diet. We have 3 preop and 2 postop per week.  Unfortunately, it is 1.5 hr from me so I don't go to any of them. 

There is a local group that is combined pre and post op and it is open to anyone so I do get to that every so often.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/7/11 1:55 am - OH
I stopped going to the support group that outr hospital bariatric rpogram offers at less than a year out (I am now 4 years out).  It is definitely the weak point in the program.  (We had a separate weight loss "club" for a while -- we couldn't call it a support group without getting my surgeon in trouble -- but she moved locations and there were some other changes so we had to stop the group.)  It is not a "support group"... it is a chance for the program psychologist to lecture and for people to ask questions (but only about the lecture topic)... most of the off topic questions and needs for support are generally left for the individual members to handle amongst themselves after the group dismisses.  (One meeting was actually taken up by someone selling insurance!)  The psychologist does not even seem to like working with obese people.  As a counselor, I am appalled that a COE settles for this type of post-op "support".  But since I don't have a PhD (yet) -- just a master's level counselor -- I'm not worthy to even raise the issue with the program coordinator.  Guess what's at the top of my list as soon as my "ABD"  (all but dissertation) changes to "PhD"...?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

silly_sandy
on 8/7/11 2:21 am, edited 8/7/11 2:22 am - IL
My support group meets once a month.  It is strictly lecture.  Anyone can attend (pre, post-ops and family).  Subjects have included exercise fact or fiction, sleep disorders, how to shop a grocery store and plastic surgeries.  Everyone bolts out the door as soon as it's over which is a real bummer.  No one talks about their stories, surgeries, successes or failures.  I find them kinda of lacking in "real" support.  They are interesting, but I need the support I get online here at OH. 

HW: 307  SW:  254  CW: 177 GW: 150
talula216
on 8/7/11 2:32 am - RI
RNY on 01/16/12
My doctors office offers support groups for post and pre-ops. The room is set up with only chairs, Everyone sits where they want.   They will ask if there are any new people to explain how the group is run..  There is a topic with speakers.  then its open forum for any one to ask questions.  They also have other support groups such as those for bands and only post ops.'  It is run by one of the Nurses and the nut comes in to answer any questions.

I find the support group very helpful.  My husband was very scared about me going through the surgery.  But felt much better when we attended the support group.  Plus he met one of his cousins there *****cently had surgery.  So it was nice to talk with some one he knew who had been throught it.  She was only 2 weeks out.  I am still a pre-op

Talula
Starting weight 369

Samantha.M
on 8/7/11 5:42 am - Germany
 The support group is pretty bad here. They have meetings in a big church,never organized. Pre-ops and post ops are all mixed in together. They attempt to have guest speakers and most of the time no one shows up. So we have one lady who speaks up who had a compleatly different surgery than the rest of us(or are going to have. I'm still pre-op) and honestly nothing she says relates to me at all. 

I find them to be a waste of time right now. Maybe it will be different afterwards but as of right now i've read better info here in this forum and on the web then I have got from the so  called support group. 
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥       
Nee000
on 8/7/11 8:34 am - MI
We have 3 different wls groups that meet once per month where pre/post opt patients and their support persons can attend.  The first is facilitated by the NUT, of course we focus on nutrition.  Most weeks there is a topic where we talk for a little over an hour then they socialize.  Although, the info is really good, I don't necessarily like the socializing part, but it gives the "click" plenty of time to catch up.

The 2nd group is facilitated by a psychiatrist.  We create our own agenda.  The psych has us to go around the circle and share first name, pre/post opt, date of surgery, and amount of weight lost.  We also tell her what topics/issues/concerns we want to discuss.  I really like this group and we always have relevant discussion up to the end time.

There is a 3rd group that meets once a month for people that are trying to get back on track, but I've never attended.
AMRubel
on 8/7/11 12:05 pm
Hi Neee000,

I am a patient of doctor Genaw's! :) I always wondered how the support group meetings went at the hospital, but it is so far away, I haven't been able to attend one!

Nice to see another patient of our program on here! 
Adrienne    
Highest Weight - 263.2  Surgery Weight - 247.40  Current Weight - 148.5   

*Total loss includes 15.8lbs lost on surgeon required pre-op diet.   
Nee000
on 8/8/11 11:03 pm - MI
Hi AMRubel
Its always good to make contact with someone from your weight loss program.  The support groups are really good.  A number of the members have been attending for some time and are a wealth of real life experience.  I do hope that you get the opportunity to attend a few in the future.  Are you hooked up to the HFH Yahoo Group?
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 465 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 279 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics