Straws??

Bkritty
on 8/9/11 2:21 am
So a bunch of us were debating on another thread about the use of straws post op and I was wondering what you all were told from your surgeons? I have heard everything from straws are the devil to its a complete myth. My surgeon says no straws ever. I understand new preops not using straws while still healing but further out I am still trying to understand what the big deal is? AND just to clarify I am talking about drinking WATER through a straw..I am not suggesting chugging soda down a straw or any high caloric beverage.  :)

nfarris79
on 8/9/11 2:25 am - Germantown, MD
 It was kinda implied to me that straws were the devil (b/c they can let in too much air that'll cause uncomfortable gas) but after a few weeks I discovered that straws were gonna save my life because I couldn't get shakes down without sticking a straw near the back of my mouth and sucking. (k, no didn't mean that it a phallic sense). SO as long as you don't feel uncomfortable, my personal experience says go for it.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 8/9/11 2:25 am - OH
Some people suck in a lot of air when using a straw and get painful gas.  Not everyone has that problem, though.  If drinking from a straw doesn't bother you, then there is no reason at all not to do it.  You will not hurt your pouch or anything like that drinking from a straw.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mrslatch
on 8/9/11 2:40 am - Fort Campbell, KY
I'm a straw drinker too.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

laura_vermont
on 8/9/11 2:47 am
My surgeon said no straws too.  Early out, I found that straws did cause some tummy pain.  Now, I prefer not to use one, but don't have a problem with it anymore.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/9/11 2:48 am - OH
My surgeon said no straws right after surgery (I don't remember the exact period of time becasue that was several years ago) but that they were ok once the pouch had healed up a bit.  I started using a straw (with her blessing) even before that, however, because it was the only way I could get enough fluids in (and had no trouble at all).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mia H.
on 8/9/11 3:54 am - OH
 On the paperwork I got just said no straws.  But I use one anyway, because I find I drink more with them.  I also don't have to sip.  I can drink normally with no issues anyway.  Should I be forcing myself to sip? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/9/11 3:59 am - OH
The only reason for the sipping is that SOME people find it uncomfortable to drink normally early out.  If it doesn't cause you discomfort, there is no reason not to drink normally.  If your pouch is unhappy, it will let you know!  I never had any discomfort drinking... just REALLY didn't feel like it, and the straw made it easier to get the water in (and Dr Rita said it was fine).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mia H.
on 8/9/11 10:18 am - OH
 Thanks Lora.  Same with me, I can drink normally, I just don't want too.  

Cherylkas
on 8/9/11 2:57 am - PA
Hello my name is Cheryl and I use a straw to drink...

I could not possibly get in the amount of fluid I do with out it. My surgeon said early out not to use on so that no extra gas got in. But once I was farther out to go ahead. I never get any extra gas at all from it or pain in anyway. In the grand scheme I think dealing with a little gas is better then not getting in my fluids. 
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 410 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics