Can you Concur..changes after RNY...

mahogany357
on 8/10/11 9:44 am - KISSIMMEE, FL
1. Hormones worst than 5 pregnant women.
2. Taste buds semi-change from normal to skeptical about eating seasonings on ur food.
3. Nose= Your nose is sensitive to perfumes, foods, and simple smells.
4. Stomach= Sensitive to goods u use to like or enjoy. Also, sights simple things like a finger cut could make ur stomach weak.

"FEEL FREE TO ADD UR EXPERIENCE(S)"
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/10/11 9:49 am - OH
I would have to dissent based on my own personal experience.

1. I've never been pregnant so could not say.  I did have some post-op depression and moodiness, but I also already had pre-op depression and moodiness.
2. I did not experience any significant changes in my taste buds other than being more sensitive to salt content
3. My sense of smell was not heightened
4. I did not develop a sensitive stomach, either in relation to food or to "blood and guts"

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

losing-jennifer
on 8/10/11 10:07 am
1. yes raging hormones like being pregnant.
2. finding I like foods I didn't like pre-op and don't like foods I used to like post-op.
3. I could smell as well as a dog (that passed). I could smell hubby's breath from across the room. I drove him nuts complaining.
4. I do have a huge gag reflex now so I have to be careful.

So yes, I went through most of that too.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

mahogany357
on 8/11/11 1:54 am - KISSIMMEE, FL
@ Jen....lol..... your mini-tales with RNY are humorous .... I needed a laugh. Ty for sharing.
Dave Chambers
on 8/10/11 10:41 am - Mira Loma, CA

Although I'm not female, here's my expereince and major input from support groups:

1. Yes hormones go nuts.  My surgeon likes the IUD plus a 2nd form of birth control. The pill won't work well post op.

2.  Taste buds change for the vast majority of post ops. Foods you like prior to surgery, you may not be able to stand.  This is especially true for flavor protein powders. Get two samples of proteins that sound good to you. Try one prior to surgery, and mark 2nd one good, or bad, depending on your opinion. A week post op try the ones marked good. You may or MAY NOT like them now.  If you hate them, try the ones marked bad. These may be your favorite now.

3. Odors can bother many causing nausea.  I had minimal problems as a new post ops in this regard, except for the odor of cooking bacon. To this day, 5 years post op, I cannot tolerate someone cooking bacon--I have to leave the house.

4. Fatty or greasy foods, pastas, rice, sugar alcohols, etc. can be a big issue for some post ops.  Greasy foods tend to cause more dumping than sugars for some. SF foods have sugar alcohols in them, and these can be problematic for some post ops.  Nausea from a cut finger doesn't bother me at all.

Constipation can be a real big issue.  Learning to drink fluids again ( you need a lot of water daily) is a real challenge for some.  Fatigue is common for the first few weeks.  Each patient is different, and they may face somewhat different challenges. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

curvaceousdiva
on 8/10/11 10:56 am - Hyattsville, MD
1. my lil womenare grown dont remember how pregnancy was LOL

2.  my taste buds LOVE seasonings ALOT of it...  i put crushed peppers on EVERYTHING now

3  definitely sensitive nose...

4.  my tummy is BEYOND sensitive... I cant eat things that i LOVED preop...
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
D-J
on 8/10/11 11:08 am
1.yes
2.yes
3.yes
4.yes,,,,,,,,,,,LOLOL
Lori320
on 8/10/11 11:17 am
Ditto!!!

Lori
Highest Weight 403

Most Active