1st round of iron infusion!

phoenix 279
on 8/10/11 2:16 pm - Morrisville, NC
So i went in for my 1st round of IV iron infusion today. I had no allergic reaction, but i had taken steroids, benadryl and zantac before hand.

At 15 months i had my labs drawn as i was feeling like something was off. my ferritin levels came back as less than 1, my iron was less than 10, and hemoglobin was 8.4. i am one of the unlucky ones who don't absorb oral iron. i have been taking iron supplements in addition to my multis since 6 months out.

I have to go back from 3 more infusions in the next 3 weeks. they will test me after 4 weeks to see where my levels are and decide what to do after that!

So far i am not feeling any different but from reading other peoples posts i realize that i might not feel any different for a couple of weeks since my ferritin was essentially non existent! but here's hoping for the best...

TamaraL
on 8/10/11 8:15 pm
what kind of iron are they infusing.  i had ferric gluconate and i did not have to have anything for anxiety.  There is another kind of iron that does cause the heart rate to increase and anxiety. 

Hopefully this will get your numbers back up.  I had iron infusion back in May/June and probable will have to have them again

Tamara

phoenix 279
on 8/10/11 8:49 pm - Morrisville, NC
hi
i think you misunderstood me. i didnt take any meds for anxiety. they were all anti-allergy meds.

so you had just one infusion in may/june? how did it raise your numbers?

TamaraL
on 8/11/11 3:19 am
no, I had 6 iron infusions.  and my iron went up to 125.   Some people have a different iron IV and it does require benadryl and anti medications.  I did not have to have the benadryl but there is another lady that did recently

Tamara 

SweetGirl11
on 8/11/11 9:52 am
I had Venofer IV iron infusion and did not have to take any pre-medication.  I've had four weekly infusions so far and I feel SO much better!  I have color in my face again and don't feel so sick and exhausted anymore.  Not sure how many more infusions I will be getting.  Hope you feel better!

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 268 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?