Snacking

TJN66
on 8/13/11 8:58 am - Elmira, NY
Good Evening Everyone,
I seem to want to snack in the evenings.  I have been grabbing a hard boiled egg, some nuts, some cheese, cottage cheese and stuff like that.  Once in awhile I will grab a chip or two but that is rare for me now.  I will also drink water and/or tea to help stop the need to snack.

So what I want to know is what do you have around so that you can eat something but not feel guilty? 

I am at goal and maintaining so far and I want to keep it that way!  Its usually around 9 to 10pm that I have noticed this in the last few weeks.  I will stop myself, drink and wait a bit to see if I am still feeling the need to snack.  Maybe a protein drink in the evening?  I'm not sure what else to do.  My surgeons office closed and I am being followed by my pcp so I dont have a dietician to ask. 
Thanks so much!
Tammy       250 presurg/160 surgeons goal
                  130 my goal/130 currently

poet_kelly
on 8/13/11 9:09 am - OH
I always have at least one snack in the evening, sometimes two.  Depends on what time I eat dinner.  Today I ate dinner about 5:00 so I'll be ready for a snack about 8:00 or 9:00.  Most likely I'll be up late tonight so I'll be ready for another snack around midnight.

My evening snacks are usually things like yogurt, protein shakes, protein bars, protein ice cream or cheese.  Sometime I eat some leftovers from dinner.  Last night I ate a lemon poppyseed muffin because I was baking and they were fresh out of the oven and they didn't have too much sugar.  That's not my usual evening snack, but I didn't feel guilty about eating it.  It wasn't a big muffin and was pretty low in sugar and it's not something I eat very often, so what is there to feel guilty about?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gbsinsatx
on 8/13/11 9:17 am - San Antonio, TX

Snacks:

10 Grams Protein, 190 Calories, 14 Grams Sugar:

• 4 ounces Kozy Shack No Sugar Added Rice pudding, 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal,  2 Sunsweet Select Ones prunes/////4 ounces Kozy Shack No Sugar Added Tapioca pudding, 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal,  2 Sunsweet Select Ones prunes 

11 Grams Protein, 190 Calories: 

• 21 Blue Diamond whole natural almonds, 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal

12 Grams Protein, 170 Calories: 

• 4 tablespoons PB2, 2 tablespoons Polaneer sugar free with fiber preserves: Apricot or Seedless Raspberry or Strawberry, 2 slices Wasa Light Rye crispbread 

15 Grams Protein, 180 Calories, 9 Grams Sugar: 

• 1.5 ounces Kay’s Better Balance Cinnamon Toast pretzel sticks

16 Grams Protein, 170 Calories, 16 Grams Sugar: 

• 4 ounces Brown Cow 0% fat Greek yogurt (Blueberry or Strawberry), 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal

16 Grams Protein, 190 Calories: 

• 1/3 cup Sun Harvest dry roasted & salted edamame (soybeans), 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal

14 Grams Protein, 135-180 Calories, 13-19 grams sugar: 

1/2 cup Daisy low fat 2% milk fat cottage cheese: 90 calories, 14 grams protein, 4 grams sugarwith 1 small banana: 90 calories, 12 grams sugar (180 calories, 16 grams sugar total)/////2 medium kiwi: 90 calories, 14 grams sugar (180 calories, 18 grams sugar total)/////1 small pear: 85 calories, 15 grams sugar (175 calories, 19 grams sugar total)/////1 small apple: 80 calories, 15 grams sugar (170 calories, 19 grams sugar total)/////4 apricots: 70 calories, 12 grams sugar (160 calories, 16 grams sugar total)/////1 small orange: 70 calories, 12 grams sugar (160 calories, 16 grams sugar total)/////1 cup honeydew: 60 calories, 14 grams sugar (150 calories, 18 grams sugar total)/////1 small nectarine: 60 calories, 10 grams sugar (150 calories, 14 grams sugar total)/////2 plums: 60 calories, 14 grams sugar (150 calories, 18 grams sugar total)/////1 cup cantaloupe: 55 calories, 12 grams sugar (145 calories, 16 grams sugar total)/////1 cup watermelon: 45 calories, 9 grams sugar (135 calories, 13 grams sugar total) 
19 Grams Protein, 220 Calories:
2 ounces (2 sticks) Frigo light swirls string cheese, 1 mini bag Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop popcorn

20 Grams Protein, 170 Calories: 
2.12 ounce Quest Apple Pie protein bar/////2.12 ounce Quest Chocolate Brownie protein bar
 20 Grams Protein, 190 Calories, 14 Grams Sugar: 

• 1/2 cup Daisy low fat 2% milk fat small curd cottage cheese, 1 slice Dole canned pineapple in own juice, 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal

20 Grams Protein, 195 Calories:

• 5 tablespoons fat free cream cheese, 2 tablespoons Polaneer sugar free with fiber preserves: Apricot or Seedless Raspberry or Strawberry, 2 small La Tortilla Factory low carb Whole Wheat tortillas

20 Grams Protein, 200 Calories:

• 1/4 cup Seapoint Farms dry roasted & lightly salted edamame (soybeans), 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal
  •  20 Grams Protein, 200 Calories: 
  • 2.12 ounce Quest Mixed Berry Bliss protein bar
  • 20 Grams Protein, 200 Calories, 2 Grams Sugar, 6 Grams Sugar Alcohol:
  • 1.76 ounce Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter bar

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

peanutinpa
on 8/13/11 9:24 am - Bensalem, PA
Great ideas!  I love the Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter bars.....
Do or Do Not, There is No Try...........            
peanutinpa
on 8/13/11 9:22 am - Bensalem, PA
I'm like you, around 7 or 8 at night, I want something to munch on. Depending on the calories/carb count for the day, I usually have a yogurt, fruit or a handful of popcorn. I was more than a year out before I tried the popcorn and try to not indulge in it alot. I love the Klondike NSA icecream bars but I have to be super careful with those because I can and have eaten too many of them. For some reason, the protein shakes don't help me...I guess mentally, I want the food.
Stacy4442
on 8/13/11 11:37 am
I have the same problem.  I brush my teeth and that seems to help.  Sounds odd, I know, but it works for me. 

TJN66
on 8/13/11 12:17 pm - Elmira, NY
Thanks everyone!

I will get some of that stuff on the list and try it.  Im still kinda leary about introducing lots of stuff to my tummy...she is kinda mean at times lol.  I havent had any cereal at all since surgery and I used to love cream of wheat but sadly I have been too afraid to try it again.  So I will try those that were listed.

I have had some popcorn but that just seems to make the wanting to snack worse.  I do have yogurt and cottage cheese that I like to snack on with a little bit of fresh fruit in it. 

I am so worried that I will backslide and gain the weight back.  Some days I just seem to want to eat and eat and others I could care less about it.  Its just insane lol...but I'll take this insanity over the way I was feeling and health problems anyday!

Again thanks for all the suggestions!
Tammy       250 presurg/160 surgeons goal
                  130 my goal/130 currently

Mia H.
on 8/13/11 12:43 pm - OH
 I'm a night snacker too.  I usually have a protein drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  But around this time at night, I want a snack.  I have been having some fresh fruit or veggies like cucumber/tomatoes.  

Meg_S
on 8/13/11 12:55 pm - Natick, MA
I just had a snack at 9:30. It was a Dannon Light and Fit Lemon yogurt. Sometimes I'll have a yogurt, sometimes a sf jello pudding snack and sometimes a protein shake (depends on if I need the extra protein or not). If you're not looking to up your protein you could have some sf apple sauce or have an apple or some other fruit. You could have an apple sliced up with peanut butter on it (it's actually good, don't make that face).

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

Ladytazz
on 8/13/11 2:22 pm
 I allow for a snack at night if needed as long as it is high protein, at least 20 grams.  Usually a shake but sometimes a protein smoothie or cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit and protein powder.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics