dumping tmi

purpleamanda
on 8/14/11 8:26 am - TN
im concerened that i have dumping syndrome and i plan to call my doctor mon morning. ill be 7 days out on monday. so im trying to get my protein shakes in and they are soooo sickly sweet  and just the thought makes me wanna throw up. i am going diahrehha at least 3 times every day. so now im on nonsweet soups and plain water, gonna get some unflavored protein to put in too. im hurting sooo bad, im dizzy and get sharp pains in my stomach, i feel soooo  bloated and sooo exhausted, please help me! did anyone else feel like this?
    *Amanda*                
NikkiV
on 8/14/11 8:45 am - OH

I felt horrible my first week. I called the NUT because I was concerned about getting enough protein. I felt like if i got enough protein, I couldn't get enough fluids. She suggested I concern myself with staying hydrated first.  As time went on, I was able to tolerate more protein.  Dizziness and diarrhea can be signs of dehydration. If I were you I would sip, sip, sip!!  I can totally relate to the exhaustion!! I still get tired sometimes and I'm 5 weeks out. . .  Good luck to you and definitely call the doc if the dizziness and diarrhea continue!

purpleamanda
on 8/14/11 8:50 am - TN
wat kind of protein were you doin? shakes? were they too sweet for you? thats my problem, im gonna start sipping a lot more water and hope that helps, thanks for your response!
    *Amanda*                
kipz303
on 8/14/11 9:07 am
I had diarrhea for the first 2-3 weeks. If you arent eating solids then there are no solids to come out sweetie!  You will NOT get in all of your protein or even close to it until 3-4 weeks out and they don't expect you to. Dont worry about protein right now, get your liquids in - remember liquid in=liquid out =)  

Protein powders and shakes WERE too sweet for me and I still cannot tolerate them AT ALL.  You can always try special K20 its like a koolaid mix by special K and it has some protein in it not alot but better than none.  

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Carla M.
on 8/14/11 9:16 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Unless the protein shakes have a lot of sugar in them or have a lot of carbs, I wouldn't say you are dumping on them. Try eating or drinking a little slower. That could make you feel bad. I agree with everyone else too....drink, drink, drink. Dizziness and diarrhea are signs of dehydration.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!

kipz303
on 8/14/11 9:57 am
I JUST now tried something with my protein and darn it all I can tolerate it and it tastes good...

1/2 cup of 2% milk
1/2 cup of Muscle Milk banana creme' shake (premade, 1/4 of the bottle)
1 tablespoon sugar free chocolate pudding mix
1 scoop unflavored protein powder
...2-3 ice cubes

Mix it all up in a blender or smoothie maker and you have a 32g of protein yummy shake =)

I think the tablespoon of SUGAR FREE pudding mix did the trick...and Muscle Milk has sugar free ones too ..I'm just using it for the flavor to mask the "protein" taste that gags me

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

DisneyLover
on 8/14/11 10:10 am - WI
You are not dumping unless you are drinking the wrong kind of protein shake.
Diarehha is common for the first few weeks and then after that comes the constipation, where you wish you would have the runs again.
Your dizziness is due to your loss of fluids from having the runs, so make sure you are sipping water a lot in between the shakes.  As for sharp stomach pains, that could be a sign of anything and might be a reason to call your surgen NOW.  When do you have the bad pains?
Bloating could still be from the gas they pump you with from the surgery...but also could be a sign of something else.

Keep up on the fluids

Sarah

pouch_potato
on 8/14/11 12:09 pm - PA
The diarrhea could also be your body ridding itself of all the fluids that were pumped into you in the hospital. Maybe try hot decaf tea and hot chicken bouillon. Those really calmed my tummy and helped me get my fluids that first week. I hope you feel better soon.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
Kim26
on 8/14/11 12:21 pm
Whey protein in derived from milk....perhaps you are becoming dairy intolerant. This happened to me two weeks post op. There is egg white and soy protein powders...maybe that would help. I hope you feel better!

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
YankeeRose
on 8/14/11 1:10 pm - Meadville, PA
I am lactose intolerant and I have to use Lactaid milk with my protein shakes. The kind of whey I use is lactose free too. Good luck.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?