a month?!

purpleamanda
on 8/15/11 4:14 am - TN
so i was just told that i have to be on full liquids for a month! i hate yogurt and cottage cheese and so that just leaves cream soups... i cant get my protein in my shakes cause of how sweet they are, just wondering when you progressed to puree foods?
    *Amanda*                
poet_kelly
on 8/15/11 4:16 am - OH
I was only on full liquids for one week.  But if you are doing them for a month, you're going to have to find a way to get your protein.  You will be very ill if you get no protein for a whole month.

How many brands of protein shakes have you tried?  Some are sweeter than others.  Or you could use unflavored protein powder and put it in your cream soups, sugar free pudding, etc.  Have you tried the chicken soup protein from Unjury?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

johnsoca
on 8/15/11 4:31 am - Madison, AL
My doc had a pretty conservative schedule -- 2 weeks on clear liquids, 2 weeks on full liquids and 2 weeks on purees. After 6 weeks I started on solid foods, gradually adding new ones as tolerated. Personally, I had the hardest time with the pureed foods -- the texture of pureed proteins like chicken or meat were really a problem for me.  I know it was a head-thing, but I was sure glad to move on to real food.

Do you like pudding? You can make instant pudding with skim milk and add protein powder for additional protein. I know you said you don't like yogurt, but do you like cheesecake? Jello's cheesecake flavor instant pudding mixed into plain greek yogurt tastes like the real deal. You can also top it with a tiny dollop of sugar-free preserves for more flavor.

You COULD get your protein from shakes -- you just don't want to because you haven't found one you like yet.  They really are the best way to get your protein in early out. You simply have to keep trying and find a brand or recipe you can tolerate. If you make your own, you can often adjust the sweetness factor downward.

If nothing else, remember, it's only 4 weeks out of your life. It will be over before you know it!

Anna M.
on 8/15/11 4:56 am - Manchester, NH
I was on full liquids for a month as well. 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post op.

You will get through it, but definitely try and find a protein shake you like. I was able to enjoy some of my liquids by adding the SF syrups to my shakes.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
kipz303
on 8/15/11 6:59 am
Most health food stores have small 1 serving packets that you can  get for a dollar or two so that you can try them out before you commit to a huge $30 tub as well - - I love those packets even a year out because I don't have to do the same one twice =)

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views