My Labs (x-post)

Dot T.
on 8/16/11 1:49 pm - Bartlesville, OK
I finally got my lab results today.  The doctor hasn't "read" them, but they gave me a copy of them.  To my surprise, I'm within normal range on most everything except vitamin D (big surprise, NOT!) which was a 21.

I don't know what RDW-CV and RDW-SD are, but they are both high... 

My B12 is high (1142) and they want me to cut back on my B12, but I don't know if I will or not.  It doesn't become toxic in high doses and I would rather stay in that range than bottom out!

Pyridoxine (B6) is also high... 

PTH Intact Irma was high (parathyroid analyzer) but that has to do with malabsorption, I'm sure.

Overall, I'm satisfied and will be working on getting my Vit D up!
poet_kelly
on 8/16/11 2:04 pm - OH
Your B12 is wonderful.  It's just fine.

You're right, your vitamin D is really low.  We need it at least 80.  You can order 50,000 IU dry D3 capsules from vitalady.com if you want.

Your PTH may be high because your D is so low.  When our D is very low, we don't absorb calcium well, no matter who much we take.  Then our prarthyroid gland makes more PTH so that calcium leaches out of our bones and teeth to keep the calcium level in our blood good.  That's because if the calcium level in our blood gets too low, our heart cannot beat and we die.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dot T.
on 8/18/11 10:46 am - Bartlesville, OK
I received my vitalady D3 today :-)  I'm pretty excited and ready to get these levels where they need to be! 

Thanks so much for your help!
rbb825
on 8/16/11 2:54 pm - Suffern, NY
I wish you would have posted more since just being in range isn't always just where we want to be but from you mentioned - you definitely need to take lots of vitamin D - dry D3.  Your PTH is high due to your low vitamin D levels.  PTH is parathyroid and is high when you either have not enough calcium, not enough vitamin D or a combination of the 2.  In very rare cases, it can be due to a tumor in the parathyroid but that would be indicated with a very high calcium level but with your low vitamin D level, it is certain to be the cause.  We all start out that way.  IT is called secondary hyperparathyroidism.  You should go to vitalady.com and get some Dry D3 - from BioTech 50,000 units and take it 2-3 times per week and get rechecked in 2 months.  Many will try to tell you take it daily but that is way too much.  I took it 3 times per week for a long time and had no troubles maintaining a level around 100 and then all of sudden my levels shot up to greater than 150 and my doctors went nuts.  The level was so high it couldnt' be measured.  I can't imagine if I had taken it daily.  Even when I was deficient at the beginning, I started out at 36 and within 2 months of taking it 2 times per week, it went up to 97.  IF after 2months you find out that 2-3 times per week isn't enough, you can then increase but I have seen many take it daily and end up with levels up in the 150-200 level and that puts you at risk for kidney stones and it happened to me.  I just had surgery for kidneys stones which they think is because my D got so high.  I have to have urine tests to be sure.

What was your calcium level?

So,  I am not saying we dont' want good levels because we do.  I still take it 2 times per week but I cut it from 3 times per week and I am now maintaining at around 100 which is perfect.

Your B12 is perfect.  I wouldn't cut it at all.  Many doctors don't understand that we need high levels and there is no danger to having extra in our systems - we just pee out what we dont' need.  YOu can actually go up to 2000, for an optimal level.

On the other hand, a high B6 isn't good.  That can be toxic. Are you taking a B complex?  IF so, I would stop and switch to a plain Vitamin B1.  B1 is the vitamin that we really need and malabsorb. This is the vitamin that we become deficient in very often and can lead to nerve damage - for some reason instead of telling us to take just B1, many tell us to take B complex which is really overkill - we get all the other b vitamins in our multi and it just causes toxic levels.  You need 100mg of vitamin B1 daily.

As far as the RDW being high - I am not sure what the other letters that you have with it are but RDW goes along with other anemia numbers.  You are obviously not B12 deficient, so it either has to do with iron or folate.  What is your iron, ferritin, iron sat %, hemoglobin, hemacrit, RBC, Folate?

Did they do a vitamin A, selenium, vitamin B1. zinc?

Dot T.
on 8/18/11 10:45 am - Bartlesville, OK
OK...  trying to answer the questions on all the other levels...

Calcium was 9.3

yes, I'm taking B Complex which has 2 mg (or 100%) B6 in it.

iron is 53

I can't find my ferritin level on here :-(  Is there another abbreviation or name it could be called?

iron sat is 15%

hemoglobin is 12.3

hemacrit is 38.6

RBC is 4.30

folate is 19.8

Dot T.
on 8/18/11 11:10 am - Bartlesville, OK
Under the section "Comprehensive Metabolic Panel" there is one called
PROTEIN TOTAL and that number is 6.9 and the range listed is 6.7 to 8.3 for normal.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 382 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 105 views
Forum Search Error & 404