Protein Shots

Stacy4442
on 8/17/11 1:29 pm
I was in GNC buying Isopure the other day and they told me that they are discontinuing the drinks and going to the protein shots.  Only 3 ounces of liquid and lots of protein.  Has anyone tried these?  Are they good for us?  Are they worth it?  I have not done any research yet.

RRRhonda9
on 8/17/11 1:37 pm
I haven't tried the Isopure brand, but I DID buy protein shots at WalMart and they were VILE.  I'm going to try to use them in a smoothie or snowcone or something because they were too expensive to throw away, but one swallow made me gag!! Maybe different flavors would be better; I had fruit punch.  FYI, I'm only post surgery 2 wks.
Lisa R.
on 8/17/11 1:42 pm - CA
I have seen post about this before.  I have not taken a protein shot, but when i saw the post I thought wow how great would that be, cause I really hate protein anything.  But some vets who are pretty smart and I trust very much said that the shots do not contain a protein that we (RNY patients) can absorb.  So I don't think they work for us. 

BUT like I said, I just read that here....but I tend to trust the info I find her the most since we are all living it.  You might want to do some research on your own about the type of protein they contain and if it is good for RNY patients.

I tell you what, if they do turn out to work for us, I will do that. Vile or not, I can shot down one sip and suffer through if it means that is the only sip I have to take. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
poet_kelly
on 8/17/11 1:59 pm - OH
They are not good for us.  They contain mostly collagen protein (which comes from boiled skins and hooves of horses and cows, by the way), which we can't absorb because it doesn't have all the essential amino acids.  They are a waste of money.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

YankeeRose
on 8/17/11 2:13 pm - Meadville, PA
"They contain mostly collagen protein (which comes from boiled skins and hooves of horses and cows, by the way)"

Ewwww gross! I am so glad I returned mine to Walmart (after reading previous posts) and did not try them.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

poet_kelly
on 8/17/11 2:25 pm - OH
Hee hee.  You know, I am a vegetarian and on one hand, eating the skin and hooves of a cow is not so different than eating any other part of the cow.  But it sounds a lot grosser, doesn't it?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Stargazer
on 8/17/11 3:14 pm - Gainesville, FL
just what is the best protein drink?What does every one suggest?and also how meny of you have to have the vit.B injec.?just asking!!
poet_kelly
on 8/17/11 3:59 pm - OH
All of us need a B12 supplement.  Some choose to do injections.  That's what I do.  I find it more convenient that other supplements.  But you can also use a sublingual that dissolves under your tongue, a nasal spray or a patch.

The best kind of protein for us is whey isolate.  Whey concentrate or soy isolate are not bad, either.  As far as what brands and what flavors, everyone likes something different.  Some companies will send you free or cheap samples so you can try a lot to see what you like.  You can also buy a ton of samples at vitalady.com.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics