I Finally Get It: Complication=(temporary) Regret

JerseyJim
on 8/18/11 2:47 pm, edited 8/18/11 3:06 pm - Sayre, PA
I had my first piece of food get stuck tonight and I was miserable and in pain for a good hour, during which I questioned having RNY for the first time in three months.

An hour after the food got stuck, I was at the toilet puking.  Afterward I still felt like crap, but 10 minutes after that I threw up again and I felt great.

After reading all the posts about folks who have problems with food getting stuck and getting sick, I can finally appreciate how those people feel.

It SUCKED big time!

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

poet_kelly
on 8/18/11 2:53 pm - OH
Wow,  this is the first time you've had any buyer's remorse?  You lucky guy!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think one reason people are more likely to have buyer's remorse in the early days is that if they just had surgery a week or two ago, they haven't had time to see any benefits yet.  If I eat something my pouch doesn't like today, well, I have the memory of lots of days when food goes down just fine and I also know that I'm enjoying being a normal weight.  But right after surgery, I didn't have that.  I could try to focus on my hope that surgery would work and my life would be better for it, but I guess I wasn't convinced it was going to happen or that it was going to be worth whatever problems I went through on the way.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JerseyJim
on 8/18/11 3:05 pm - Sayre, PA
I've had a remarkably uneventful three months, so I haven't had buyers remorse until today.  Until a couple of weeks ago, the only thing I couldn't eat was chicken, and I've had it several times now and it's been fine.  I've eaten things that haven't agreed with me, but I just put the fork down, drink plenty of fluids 30 minutes later, and eat something different on the subsequent meal. I'm not sure why I didn't have a regrets until now.  I think it's because of the pain.  None of the discomfort I felt when my pouch didn't like something, or I ate one bite too many cause the type of pain I felt today.  It felt like what I assume a heart attack would feel like.  It's my own fault for not paying attention while eating and not chewing my food thoroughly.  Lesson learned. LOL

poet_kelly
on 8/18/11 3:16 pm - OH
I don't think I've ever had something get stuck.  If I eat too fast or eat a little too much, I feel nauseous and uncomfortable.  I've thrown up a couple times from eating one or two bites too many.  I think the only times I have really regretted surgery was in the first couple months when I had horrible nausea from time to time.  Like, one day I had a follow up appointment with my surgeon, whose office was a three hour drive from my home.  I was driving down the interstate and had to pull over on the shoulder of the highway a few times to puke.  While I was hanging my head out of my car puking while traffic whizzed by me, I regretted my surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 3:33 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
There's nothing like "Stuck" to make you a true believer about chewchewchew!!!

I came to realize that a nice fast "urp" and letting the blockage come up was a great
way to get relief.

You're doing great--hang in there!

By the way, have you checked into the Men's Forum on this site?  There's some good
guys on there, and they're always good for either cheering for you or giving you some
encouragement along with straight talk when it's needed.

And they have "FART" posts there, too!  Always fun to read about!

Good luck
JerseyJim
on 8/19/11 1:20 am - Sayre, PA
Hi Lynn.  I'm definitely going to try for the fast relief next time it happens because it was not pleasant spending an hour or so fighting to keep it down, when the coming up is what gave me relief.  Thanks for the advice.

As for the Men's forum, I've been told about it by several of the guys here and I've perused the forum several times.  To be perfectly honest, that environment just isn't to my liking.  It's way to exclusionary (i.e. old boy's club) for my taste. I'm in no way disturbed, offended, or disgusted by the "women's" issues posted here.  I was raised by a single mother without a father in my life, and I've been married twice, so I'm very comfortable in an environment where the women outnumber the men.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

Heidi L.
on 8/18/11 3:55 pm - San Jose, CA
Ewwww...Sorry Jim. I've had it happen at least 3 times. Last time was a couple weeks ago. It's not always a matter of not enough chewing but the actual food.

I was 2 weeks out the first time and my surgeon hospitalized me. Not being able to drink or even swallow my saliva for over 6 hours and just kept vomiting and dry heaving. Shrimp. He said that was the most common food to get stuck.

The second time was at 5 weeks with some frozen fish filets I microwaved.

The last time was with the BEST King Salmon I have ever had at my brother's wedding reception. Got in the car just in time to stop aside the road and start throwing up. Continued the rest of the evening. Love my Zofran!

I hope this doesn't happen to you again!! I've found it is all trial and error.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

JerseyJim
on 8/19/11 1:06 am - Sayre, PA
Heidi, I think the lesson learned here is to avoid sea creatures. 

nkara
on 8/19/11 12:27 am
 I have a question for the "stuck" episodes... I have gotten them several times with my band but now that I will be revising to RNY I'm wondering if it's the same pain.   
With the band and a stuck episode I throw up and my stomach is in tremendous pain where the band is.  Then I have to go back to liquids and then mushies for about a week till the pain goes away... hence the reason for revising.  My stomach just doesn't like my new alien in my stomach.  

So just wondering if the pain is the same and if the after affects are the same? 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

JerseyJim
on 8/19/11 1:05 am - Sayre, PA
While the food was stuck, I was in terrible pain.  Once I threw up and the food came out, I was pain free and there was no lingering pain.  As a matter of fact, a couple of hours later, I had half of a protein bar in order to try an make up for my lost meal and it didn't hurt at all.  This morning, I had Greek yogurt with protein cereal mixed in and that went down pain free as well.  Hope that helps.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views