HAVING TROUBLE NEED ADVICE PLZ

Jessica L.
on 8/19/11 6:18 am

SINCE I BEEN HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL I AM HAVING PROBLEMS DRINKING MY FLUIDS. MY STOMACH WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO DRINK THE 64 OZ THEY WANT ME TO DRINK. I AM REALLY WORRIED THAT SOMETHING BAD IS GONING TO HAPPEN AND I DONT WANT TO GO BACK IN THE HOSPITAL. I CANNOT WAIT TILL MONDAY TO GO GET THIS DUMB DRAIN OUT. IT HURTS SO  BAD AND IT'S ANNOYING AS HELL. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE THEY CAN GIVE ABOUT THE FLUIDS? I AM SECOND GUESSING MY DECISON. AT THIS POINT I'M WISHING I NEVER GOT IT DONE!!!

Lisa E.
on 8/19/11 6:29 am - Fontana, CA
 Just try to get in as much liquids as possible.. I know its rough but make yourself drink.. I know I didn't get 64 oz in at first but I did make myself drink as much as I could... It will get better and You will be thankful for this gift you were given... Good Luck and hang in there..
Good Luck, Lisa     

MastoDon
on 8/19/11 6:31 am - Los Gatos, CA
I bet most of us had second thoughts about our surgeries in the first week post-op.  I know I did.

But cheer up, it DOES get better.

Not one bad thing will happen to you if you can't get your 64 ounces of water today.  Drink what you can.  Stop when you must.  For what it's worth, warm and salty was always easier for me than cold and plain.  Lots of things qualify as water.  Tea, broth, juice, Popsicles, ...

Getting the drain out is a positive milestone.  Let us know how it goes.

Best of luck...

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

Diana C.
on 8/19/11 6:41 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
Well I can say that I didn't have the drain at home.  They took that out on the last day I was in the hospital.  As far as drinking liquids goes, I remember feeling overwhelmed about it too.  That's completely normal.  I felt as though my pouch would explode because it would get so full after the tiniest amount of fluids.  Just sip sip sip.  Little bitty sips throughout the whole day and you should reach your fluid goal.

maggiet
on 8/19/11 7:14 am - Durham, NC
Yep, I couldn't get in all the liquids at first. I'm sure there are some heroic people out there that did but a lot of us struggle with it. Try keeping to the regimen of 2 oz. of liquid every 15 minutes while awake. It does get esier but not all at once.

I understand you having the second thoughts. When you are out of nsurgery, in pain, unable to follow the guidleines, mourning food, it does sometime not seem worth it. But it does get better and once the weight starts coming off you probably feel very different.

but for now... concentrate on getting in sips and the 2 oz. every 15 minutes. Good luck to you!

monicapena
on 8/19/11 9:03 am - OH
Hi Jessica,  I just had my surgery August 12 so I am trying to get my fluids in.  Iam more concerned about getting my protein. I just sip all day. My doctors said he didn't expect me to get that all in but I see him Monday. I have a feeding tube in me. My case is a little different. I will need a lung transplant down the road, so I have alot of other issues. OMG ! the pain is terrible. I never knew how much we used our mussels in our stomach to sit, stand. bend. But I know it wont last forever. I just take it one day at a time. Get this, because of my illness I have to take 36 pills. I start in the morning I am just now finishing my vitamins.    LOL ! Antime you want to talk just add me as friend.
Take care
Monica
NHPOD9
on 8/19/11 9:08 am
I still haven't been able to get in 64 ounces consistently, though I try daily.  

This may sound silly, but it has been working for me.  I set an alarm clock to go off every 5 minutes (I just keep hitting snooze) when I am at home reading/watching tv, etc., so that I can take a swallow of liquid.  Otherwise, I tend to lose track of time between sips.  I can get in about a cup per hour doing this.  

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

SugarGrl
on 8/19/11 9:46 am
I didn't have a drain but I did have trouble the first few days being able to drink all the liquids.  It does get better each and every day....now? No prob.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Suzy E.
on 8/19/11 4:30 pm - CA
Jessica...I am right there with you!!! I am 10 days post op and wondering what the heck I was thinking!!! I cannot tolerate a single protein drink and struggle to get the fluids in. I was just in ER last night for hydration. It must get better. Everyone says their only regret is not doing it sooner. I am sure we will be saying that one day. Best of luck to you. My RD told me today to do my best. They know we can't instantly get in 64 ounces. That made me feel a teeny tiny bit better. Today was by far my most emotional/worst day!

We can do this!!!

dasie
on 8/20/11 9:36 am
Keep looking for a shake.  I spent a fortune.  I never drank SF anything pre-op, so post op every shake, powder or liquid, gagged me.  Finally one day my husband bought EAS Advantage Rich Dark Chocolate for me to try.  I think the dark chocolate masked the protein and SF taste.  These are pre made.  To this day it is the only one I can tolerate.  The others are gross, to  me anyway.  You have a patient doctor too.  Mine told me to do my best, and it allowed me to relax.  I drank chicken bullion made with an unflavored protein powder that could withstand high temps.  One scoop was 24 grams, butit made the broth too thick.  I used 1/3 of a scoop and that gave me 8 grams of protein.  I would drink that sometimes 3 or 4 times per day.  For quite a while it was the only way I could get protein until we stumbled upon EAS.  I spent a lot of time praying for a solution.  It does get better.  My diet progressed much slower than most in regards to solid foods, etc.  This really is trial and error.  What works for one may not work for another.  They really stressed that in our classes and told us not to be discouraged on our progression.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 223 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?