Preop questions!

Godgaveus2
on 8/19/11 2:27 pm - WI
First off is anyone else having surgery on Sept 19th?   I was reading in my "bible" that you can not be on any contraceptives during surgery, I have the Mirenda IUD and was wondering if I will have to have that removed?  My final question (for now) is while in the hospital do you generally share a room, or do you have a private room?  Thanks for your feedback.
poet_kelly
on 8/19/11 2:38 pm - OH
I don't know about the IUD.  Check with your doc.

A lot of hospitals these days only have private rooms or have mostly private rooms.  I think it's because they don't keep people in the hospital very long like they did 20 or 30 years ago.  So there are fewer patients in the hospital at any given time, so there isn't much need for lots of double rooms.  When you register, they should ask if you prefer a private or semiprivate, if the hospital has both. Insurance companies usually only pay for a semiprivate room, if one is available, unless a private room is medically necessary for some reason.  So if you request a private room, you may have to pay the difference.

the hospital lwhere I had my surgery only had private rooms, or at least that's all that was available at that time.  I would have paid extra to have a private room if necessary, though.  I wanted my privacy and didn't want another patient playing the TV loud when I wanted to sleep or them having lots of visitors when I wanted to sleep or wanted to get up to go to the bathroom without showing everyone my butt, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Godgaveus2
on 8/19/11 2:43 pm - WI
Thanks Kelly, these are all questions I have for my doc, just thought I would throw them out there for all  you well educated folks.
Kathy M.
on 8/20/11 12:29 am - summershade, KY
I would call the hospital your staying at for me I had my own room

Kathy M

Gina1013
on 8/19/11 3:46 pm - Canton, OH
 I also have a Mirena IUD and my surgeon said that it was not a problem.

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

Kathy B.
on 8/20/11 4:22 am - Virginia, MN

The IUD is not a problem.  I shared a room, had 3 roommates in the two nights I was there.  I used my eye shades to keep the light on the other side of the curtain from bothering me.  Use a cpap machine, and a fan for white noise to help with the need for sleep.  Having a roommate made me want to get up more and wander around, getting in more walking.  Ear plug would have been helpful.  Do not assume that you will have a single room.  Felt good to be released for home 2 days after surgery.

OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

crystal C.
on 8/20/11 10:08 am - lynn, MA
I have an IUD and my doctor said that I would be fine and it would not have to be taken out.  I know my hospital have both private and shared rooms, I am hoping for a private room. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 79 views
Recent Topics