when to introduce sweets

ccrooker99
on 8/19/11 3:47 pm - Altamont, IL
Hello everyone I had my surgery August 2.  I am currently on the soft food diet and have been doing pretty well.  I have had no dumping and getting to eat somethings.  I was wondering when people incorporated sweets into their diet?  I have not tried anything with sugar just non sugar pudding and non sugar fruit drink.  I was wondering about cookies or cake.  I have a birthday party coming up and was wondering about the ice cream and cake.Has anyone made some kind of sugar free cake or cooked with splenda and made a cake?
poet_kelly
on 8/19/11 3:55 pm - OH
I've made cookies with splenda before.  Um, not just a month after surgery, though.  You just really don't have room in your pouch to eat that stuff right now.  You need protein.  I definitely would not try cake or ice cream for the first time at a party.  Dumping at a party would not be fun.  Those are things that I would try at home, and not until I was easily eating as much protein as I need.  Like, I was two years out before I made and ate cookies with splenda.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 8/19/11 3:59 pm - Mira Loma, CA
If you were a "sweet foodie" before surgery, RUN from the idea of cakes and cookies. Even those 100 calorie snack packs should be avoided.  Once you're about 1 1/2 to 2 years post op, you MAY(??) have some self control. You know yourself better than anyone else.  If you try ice cream or cake you may severely dump, which would likely be a real big embarrasing situation.  I'd highly recommend you avoid these foods at this time, period. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/19/11 6:48 pm - Windsor, Canada
As a support group leader we tell people generally to keep it it of your diet as long as you can. Initially when you have surgery most people are in "eat to live" mode where they can take it or leave it when it comes to eating. I say leave it if you don't need it.

If you are a sweets person be aware that often once people delve into "Pandora's box" it often can derail them. I have seen people literally a few months out that already feel like they are struggling because they have started with their trigger foods. We all know around here that when it comes to struggling it is usually sugar that most people struggle with. Those that I've found to struggle less eat like they dump and avoid sugars.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

TrueNorthFriend
on 8/19/11 8:56 pm - Canada
 Hi  there...

I do agree with those who suggest caution and avoidance.  Especially trying things at social events when you are so newly changed!

Having said that I introduced sweets in the very beginning.  SF pudding was allowed - but somehow I missed the SF part, and in my grocery store there were lots of no fat pudding choices which I thought is what was required...  So I was eating sugared chocolate pudding within the first few weeks w/o any issues!  Maybe that is why, at 21 mos out, I have still have issues with chocolate!

Consider how good you will feel about your self ccontrol if you can look at that cake at the birthday party and say... mmmm.... don't think so....  if I was a cake eater it would be delicious, but I don't eat cake!  (cookies, subsititure whatever.....)
Price S.
on 8/19/11 9:51 pm - Mills River, NC
At 4 months out, I made some sf deserts for Christmas get-togethers.  I may have had 1/2 t of some desert at Thanksgiving at 3 months out.  I still wouldn't try birthday type cake or real ice cream.  I make protein ice cream and do that on occasion.  There are SF cake mixes that are ok but again, as said before, leave that door closed as long as you can.  There is no room in your pouch for that stuff now.  Get your protein in.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

tinkerbell025
on 8/19/11 10:25 pm - Fargo, ND
Please try and wait, you are so early out. Once you release that carb monster and it comes back into your life, it sucks controlling it again.

Our rule of measure in my program was if it is a bread product and you can squeeze it into a ball- don't eat it. It will sit in your pouch and cause some great pain, feels like a rock.

Parties (for me) are not about foods and drinks any more, they are about socializing and enjoying all that is going on. Once you let this happen you will see how easy it can be.

Wishing you luck and stay safe from the demon foods.
Kelly/tink
Maintaining! Start weight 257,Current weight 122,Loss of 135# and 114 inches,Size 22-24W now size 4 to 0 (zero),Healthy life=Priceless

www.onetruemedia.com/shared
cajungirl
on 8/19/11 11:35 pm
I strongly suggest you stay away from real sugar desserts as long as you can, utilize this time that you are given as a new post-op to relearn healthier eating.

You have not dumped, this doesn't mean you won't and it doesn't mean you will.  Since only 30% of RNYers dump your chances of not dumping are greater than dumping.  IF you are/were addicted to sweets before surgery then not knowing is to your benefit at least this early out.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

ccrooker99
on 8/20/11 2:16 am - Altamont, IL
Thanks everyone!! I am just getting used to eating the soft foods and I don't know if its boredom or me really wanting it.  I have had the sharp burning pains in left side and been taking my pain meds again.  I hate taking them cause it restricts me from doing things.  I really hope this pain subsides soon so I can enjoy my family and go for walks again.  I will talk everyones advice and stay away from the sugar treats and eat sf pudding at parties. It will be hard to overcome but I can do it!!..
gabbyabby
on 8/20/11 2:17 am
 While I am not the one who posted the question, I wanted to thank everyone for their advise.  I strugle with sugar everyday.  Which is why I am having this surgery on tueday  :)  I need to break my habit.  And I do not plan on brining in back in to my life.  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 465 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 436 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 278 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics