xpost Food Frustration

Lisarn1
on 8/22/11 8:36 am - Raleigh, NC
Hey All
I posted this to the main board, but got no response. Not really sure that this has anything to do with my RNY, but I figured I'd ask here.

I had gallbladder surgery and an internal hernia on 7/22. It's been a month, but I'm having trouble progressing my diet. Before this surgery I was eating mostly whatever I wanted, ie: vegetarion protein, fish, with rare occassional lean beef/bison (I don't do chicken or pork), yogurts, protein powders, veggies (fresh raw or cooked), and small amounts of whole grains. I was doing great and very happy with my RNY. 

Now it seems that I'm not yet able to handle raw foods well, nor, as I found out on Saturday, am I able to tolerate dense meats (I tried to eat a bison burger). It simply hurts to eat anything other than soft, well cooked foods. I can eat yogurt, eggs, LF cheese, & cooked veggies (thank GOD!), but this is particularly frustrating because I am craving some variety. I WANT A SALAD!!!! I want sashimi!!! Raw veggies! Sorry...just venting.

Did anyone else have this issue when they had either gallbladder or hernia surgery after WLS? Just curious.
Thanks
Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Vivian Prouty
on 8/22/11 8:43 am - Fort Worth, TX
 I had my gallbladder removed 18 months ago and had a intestinal hernia repair 1 yr. ago.   I don't remember having any issues with food after them.    You may want to call your doctor and have a  followup visit and discuss these issues with them to make sure what you are going through is normal.    

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Lisarn1
on 8/22/11 8:50 am - Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the reply, Vivian. It just seems like I've taken 7 or 8 steps backwards. After my RNY (it'll be 2 years in Oct), it took me months before I was able to eat raw veggies and meat products (now overly upset about the meat), and now it seems like I'm back there again. LOL, that sucks for a foodie! I'll call the doc tomorrow and make an appointment.  I suppose I knew that I'd have to, and I would have told a patient or someone on this board the same thing, but I was hoping that it would get better.
Thanks for the advice and good thoughts,
Lisa

poet_kelly
on 8/22/11 8:57 am - OH
I don't think that is typical after gall bladder surgery.  I sure did not have that problem.  I don't know if the problem would be related to your RNY or what.  Now, maybe it is something that just happens to some people after gall bladder surgery and you just have to wait it out, but I would call your doctor just to make sure it isn't a symptom of some other problem.  I don't know what other problem it might be, but since it seems kind of unusual and seems like it's really bugging you, call the doc and hopefully he can figure it out for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisarn1
on 8/22/11 9:05 am - Raleigh, NC
Thanks Kelly.

I think that the area where he repaired the hernia is still tender. I'm really not surprised, though, that some of the pain in the place where the gallbladder used to be is present. My gallbladder was hyperactive (no stones), and I have issues with the sphincter (Sphincter of Oodi). I suppose I'm more concerned that the hernia repair is healing properly. I'll call tomorrow for an appointment.
At least I do OK if I stay on a soft diet.  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 224 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views