Having a hard time tolerating foods

beth1010
on 8/24/11 2:21 am
RNY on 08/01/11 with

I had my surgery on 8/1/2011. At my last NUT visit 10 days post op my diet was advanced to soft foods, including things like chicken (thighs were suggested), shrimp/fish, ground beef/turkey ect.

The problem that I'm having is that no matter how small I cut the pieces, and chew for at least 25 times, I still experience this feeling that the meat is hanging at the sternal notch and radiating to my back sometimes.  Ground beef/turkey i**** or miss, chili was fine for a day or so, then it became a problem. Home made taco meat with a little beans and cheese also was a problem. However the insides of a taco (meat/cheese) from taco bell was fine.

When I prepared the chicken thighs, I used boneless, skinless in the crock pot with fat free cream of chicken soup and cooked it for 5+ hours and it shredded up.  I had about an ounce and I was sick for the rest of the evening.

I'm feeling frustrated and actually nervous to eat anything that isn't softer to try to avoid this pain and I'm not sure what I'm doing that's wrong.

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 2:32 am, edited 8/24/11 2:37 am
Nothing's wrong- it's just the name of the game early out, figuring out what works and what doesn't. The only meal I could tolerate for 4 months was filet of sole and 3 shrimp. Very limited, but what worked. Now I miss those days- my hunger has returned.

So enjoy- the weight is coming off so easily!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Kim H.
on 8/24/11 2:37 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you and I still find this to be an issue. It really reminds me that I have to let my body be my guide and see how I feel during the meal. I have noticed that if I wait 2-3 min between bites I can normally tell when I'm going to have a problem. It's really inconsistent, too. One day I can do ground meat and the next day I can't. Just go slowly and listen to your body. Good luck!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Price S.
on 8/24/11 2:38 am - Mills River, NC
Did you go through the cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt stage?  Did any of that cause problems?  If not, go back to those things.  You may need to just wait a while more before you are ready for those things.  You can try pureeing bean soup in the blender, eating refried beans, pureeing homemade chicken and veggies, like soup.  Try very small bites, use a baby spoon and wait between bites.  One of my favorites was homemade chicken, pureed til not quite smooth in the blender.  We were to spend 20-30 minutes on a meal that was 2 oz.

Good luck.  It does get better.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 2:49 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Sadly, you may have some problems with getting into solid foods.  Just eat what you can
and take each new food slowly. 

If you need to you can try to puree some foods;  my surgeon told me to make sure that
anything I ate was the size of an eraser or smaller.  My favorite soup in a blender was a
good way to eat;  I added some unflavored Unjury protein powder (a tablespoon or so)
to up the protein content after it had been heated.  Don't get it too hot as protein powder
is absolutely gross when it's too hot.

I had a lot better luck with tuna and shrimp when I first started solid foods.  Then scallops
were added.  You're still pretty early out, so try not to push yourself.

Good luck!
poet_kelly
on 8/24/11 2:56 am - OH
Some people have trouble with meat in the beginning.  Try other soft foods like beans, cheese, scrambled eggs and cooked vegetables.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NHPOD9
on 8/24/11 4:02 am
 Hi Beth,

Your program advanced you much quicker than my program did.  I'm still not allowed to eat the foods that you were allowed to eat on day 10. Last week I was having a lot of problems with tofu and whole milk ricotta cheese; I can't imagine how I'd do with chicken, ground beef, etc.

My suggestion would be similar to what others stated.  Step back and eat some smoother foods and attempt the meats in another week or so.  All I've been eating this week is part-skim ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese, and applesauce and I don't have the problems I had last week.  

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  I hope you can find some relief soon!

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

beth1010
on 8/24/11 4:39 am
RNY on 08/01/11 with
 thanks everyone.

I think I may be trying a little too hard to live up to the letter of what the NUT sent home for me.

I did have some problems with some of the softer foods, eggs especially, and cottage cheese unfortunately came right back on me, but the applesauce ect was okay.

I think that I'll switch down to some soups for a few days, and soft carrots seem to be okay for me now (no crunchy vegetables yet) and apple sauce and jello.

I was thinking about trying shrimp and might run over to costco to get some prepared shrimp and I have some low sugar ****tail sauce.

I'm also thinking about scallops but haven't a lot of experience in preparing them. I think I better do some research into that.

I appreciate the reassurance, maybe I need to step back and breathe a little and not worry about trying so hard. 

jonelle32514
on 8/24/11 5:25 am - Pensacola, FL
You are still early out.  It took me a while before I could eat meats and they are still hit or miss.  Just take it slow, don't ru****  It will eventually happen. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

Sabrina J.
on 8/24/11 8:44 am - Sacramento, CA

I think you may be rushing your recovery a bit.  At 3 weeks out, I was just barely coming off of the yogurt/ cottage cheese stage.  My mainstays were Cambell's Chunky Soups (sirloin burger and split pea, especially), refried beans, and canned lite diced peaches   Lay off the meats for another week or so and then reintroduce sloooowly, and you should be fine!  Good luck! 

~ Sabrina J.        
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 194 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 396 views